user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: X19 ADVICE PLEASE.

X19 ADVICE PLEASE. 5 years 8 months ago #27278

Hello all, new on here and would like to ask for some advice. Just bought a 1982 X19, its not in bad nick but does need a few jobs doing. The previous owner removed the choke and has been starting it with the tickover turned right up, OK until it warms up then its seriously racing. Anyone fitted a manual choke, available on Ebay, are they any good? The seats are split, could I fit seats from a different model? Are there any common problems with the x19 that I should check?
Sorry for all the questions but seems like this is the best place to find the answers.
Thanks in advance Kev.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: X19 ADVICE PLEASE. 5 years 8 months ago #27280

Hi Kevan and welcome!

The manual choke kit is good as long as the required bits of the old auto choke are still attached to your carb. Post a couple of photos and we will see what you have/need.

Mechanically the X1/9 is actually very good with a pretty much unburstable engine, but the engine and brakes do like regular servicing and maintenance to keep them tip-top. Sadly the car got left back in the seventies when other UK Fiat models got electronic ignition and fuel injection. One worthwhile mod that will vastly improve the car's reliability is to fit electronic ignition, either from another Fiat e.g. Uno/Tipo, or Yugo, or aftermarket systems are available.

With the gearbox, the second and third gear synchromesh may get a little crunchy with age.

Bodywise the X1/9's nemesis is our salty roads. Body work is not my forte - others will chip in with advice on where to look for rust issues.

The best thing is to get along to a regional meet so we can all go over your car with a fine tooth comb!

Cheers Rachael

Last Edit: by Rachael F.

Re: X19 ADVICE PLEASE. 5 years 8 months ago #27287

Hi Kev,
To add to what Rachael says... electronic ignition has never let me down... I use Lumenition but others will advise what they have done too.

Seats are all the same from the various editions of the 1500...

Rob (Jet) "Xkell" says... Make with the Positive waves.

Re: X19 ADVICE PLEASE. 5 years 8 months ago #27309

Thanks for the quick replies. Regarding seats would it be possible to fit seats from a different model, Punto, Panda etc? Electronic ignition is on the to do list. Is it possible to fit a different gearbox or is this one specific to the X19.
Thanks again.

Re: X19 ADVICE PLEASE. 5 years 8 months ago #27310

Seats are peculiar to the X1/9, to my knowledge seats from other Fiat models will generally be too high. People have fitted Mazda MX5 seats, or aftermarket bucket seats. I'm sure some of the guys will chip in with ideas.

The gearbox is essentially a 128/Strada gearbox with a different bellhousing to bring the gear selector out forwards for the mid engine configuration. Earlier Unos and Tipos have similar gearboxes. Later Fiat models use a development of the original 128 box, that looks outwardly similar but is entirely different (and much tougher) internally, so no parts are interchangeable I'm afraid.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds