• Page:

TOPIC: How to find out build date?

How to find out build date? 1 year 10 months ago #36522

• jimx19
  • jimx19's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
I am trying to get both my 1300s registered as a Historic vehicle at the earliest opportunity so I can start taxing them for free. Although they were both first registered in 1977 I am sure they were built in 1976 - is there a way of determining this from the chassis number? Or if anyone has any other ideas it would be much appreciated. Also I need a way to present this info to DVLA in an acceptable format. I am sure there must be a few other 1300 owners on here wondering the same thing!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 Serie speciale in green original spec
1977 Serie speciale in blue modified

How to find out build date? 1 year 10 months ago #36523

Hi Jim,

This is quite interesting as in the next couple of years the earliest X1/9s will qualify as tax free as they have reached 40 years old.

My opinion is that the DVLA will only be interested in the registered date rather than the build date. They are only bothered when a car is legal on the road. Some of the cars may have lurked in dealerships for a year or so before being registered.

However, it will be interesting to find out what the true situation is regarding this.

Have you contacted the DVLA about this yet?

Cheers

Andy

Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
As seen in Classic & Sports car....
As seen in Auto Italia.....
As seen on Fifth Gear....!!!!
Lido ALF 704S

How to find out build date? 1 year 10 months ago #36527

Hello Jim,

I’ve been thinking about this too. My car was registered 13th May 1977 and I’m assuming that it was built in 1977 as well. I think that cars built in 1977 will qualify for historic road tax from 01 January 2018.

I’ve sent my car’s details to Fiat UK via their ‘contact us’ and asked them if they could confirm when it was built. I’ll let update you as soon as I can.

Keith

How to find out build date? 1 year 10 months ago #36532

Its the build date that determines when a vehicle qualifies for tax exemption. Under the old system it was vehicles built pre 1st January 1973 regardless of when it was sold.

Hope this helps.

How to find out build date? 1 year 10 months ago #36533

Tom Doyle wrote: Its the build date that determines when a vehicle qualifies for tax exemption. Under the old system it was vehicles built pre 1st January 1973 regardless of when it was sold.

Hope this helps.

Yes, this is correct. Lots of people with '73 registered cars tracked down their build date for tax-exempt status; before it became rolling exemption again, '72 built cars were obviously more attractive to buyers and commanded a higher value.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Doyle

Last Edit: by Edmund Drake-Lee. Reason: Error

How to find out build date? 1 year 10 months ago #36536

x19gr.50webs.com/tecnical.htm This link from a Greek club gives the serial numbers of the first car built in each year.

It seems accurate enough as my car which was registered on 3rd January 1980 is serial number 118926, and it shows the first 1980 produced car to be 121001.

There is a Latvian (!) website giving the exact build dates which works for my other 2 Fiats, but kicks out the 7 figure VIN shown in the V5C for my X1/9.

It may simply be that the X1/9s are too old.

www.fiatdalys.lt/en
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Doyle

How to find out build date? 1 year 10 months ago #36654

Hello All,

I’ve had a couple of ‘phone calls and an email from Fiat. They can send you written confirmation of date when your car was built for £36. However, during one of their calls they mentioned that my car was built in April 1977. So for mine it tallies with the information that Pete posted two weeks ago but it may be worth considering if your car was registered in early January 1977.

How to find out build date? 1 year 3 months ago #37771

• jimx19
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Just bumping this thread to the top! Us 1300 owners must start taking advantage of this tax exemption. One of my 1300s was first registered on 03/03/77 so there is a good chance it was built in 1976.
Looking at this link www.p6club.com/content/applying-tax-exemption - it seems getting a heritage certificate is the way forward... Anyone got any ideas how to get one for an X1/9 though?

How to find out build date? 1 year 3 months ago #37772

Jim,

As the previous post to your says, you probably need to contact FIAT UK to get a letter from them confirming the build date.

Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
As seen in Classic & Sports car....
As seen in Auto Italia.....
As seen on Fifth Gear....!!!!
Lido ALF 704S

How to find out build date? 1 year 3 months ago #37773

• jimx19
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Andy - I actually did ask at my local Fiat dealer but they said "nope no can do", so I will try Fiat UK head office and see if I have more luck that way.... I'll keep you all posted how I get on!

How to find out build date? 1 year 3 months ago #37774

Hello Jim,

My first email from FIAT came from: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

They were very helpful, I had to send them a scanned copy of my V5C/Registration document and a contact telephone number.

Good luck

How to find out build date? 1 year 3 months ago #37775

• jimx19
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Keith! I've fired off an email to that address - fingers crossed....

How to find out build date? 1 year 3 months ago #37780

Citroen car club and 2cvgb both have officials in the club committee who are authorised to issue dating certificates to the dvla. Citroen is easy to be fair, as they have an RP number which dates the body to a specific day it was built.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeremy

1989 SE in mica blue

How to find out build date? 2 weeks 5 days ago #39531

Hello Jim,

I’ve now got my car’s taxation class changed to ‘Historic Vehicle’. There’s some information now on how to do it on the DVLA’s web site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy Rowley

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds