user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fuel pump issue

Fuel pump issue 7 months 4 weeks ago #38293

Hello,

This morning getting the car out of the garage I noticed a strong smell of petrol. There was a small puddle on the floor on the o/s.
Sump was dripping fuel which was coming from the central gasket on the pump. Opening the inspection hatch I dried it all up but it became wet with petrol again. I managed to tighten the bolts (six?) holding the top to the bottom of the pump- all about half a turn. It was dry from then on, and I've just driven two hundred miles and it's still dry.

Questions!
1. Has anyone else had this?
2. Should I get a new pump ready?
3. The existing pump looks like this one on eBay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-X1-9-X19-FUEL-PUMP-/262940607645?fits=Model%3AX+1%2F9&hash=item3d387b449d:g:QR4AAOSwr~lYorjm
4. The Eurosport new ones look like this, without the wide central spacer with a hole.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1989 SE in mica blue

Fuel pump issue 7 months 3 weeks ago #38312

As the material used in pump diaphragms ages its gets brittle and shrinks a little and so it sounds like the pump diaphragm needs changing at the least, Although a new pump might be the better/easier option in the long run as the operating cams can wear leading the poor performance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Morris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds