user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: cooling

cooling 2 months 1 week ago #38933

I have drawn a diagram of the cooling system and operation of the thermostat. It is complex, especially the operation of the thermostat. I hope it is useful and if you can find any errors please let me know. This is for a U.K. 1500.
The thermostat is a wonder, it makes sure the top and bottom of the engine are at the same temperature, allows careful mixing of the coolant and is the bee's knees of thermostats when working properly.
First the thermostat warms the top and bottom together, then mixes some cold in as it warms up and finally, when hot, allows all the coolant flow.
I have just replaced my thermostat housing and rebuilt the old one to very good condition with new thermostat. The old thermostat was the wrong one, too hot and now the car runs much cooler. See what you think of the diagram.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cooling 2 months 1 week ago #38936

Hi David,

Excellent work with the diagram. My only comment relates to the position of the valve on the heater circuit. I think the valve should be the other side of the heater. i.e. the valve controls the flow into the heater.

Cheers

Andy

Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
As seen in Classic & Sports car....
As seen in Auto Italia.....
As seen on Fifth Gear....!!!!
Lido ALF 704S

cooling 2 months 1 week ago #38942

Thank you Andy, I think you are right with the valve.

cooling 2 months 1 week ago #38946

In addition to making sure the cooling system is clean and in good order, I also use a product called Water Wetter, it breaks the surface tension of the water and claims to assist with the flow of coolant/water to the engine. The main problem with cooling on the X19 is the distance the water has to travel from the radiator to the engine, so anything to assist this flow is a bonus in my book.

cooling 2 months 1 week ago #38947

Here is an updated diagram with the valve in the right place. Water Wetter is a good idea and I looked at it some years ago. After some thought and experimentation I have deduced that it is dishwasher rinse aid. Try swirling water around a glass and seeing how high up the glass it will cling; then try it with a small amount of rinse aid in the glass, you will see a difference. The only thing with water wetter is that it really works and finds any small leaks you may have.
How do I replace the oil seal on the gearbox selector shaft behind the rubber boot? Is it easy?
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds