user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: heater blower switch/control cable access

heater blower switch/control cable access 2 months 5 days ago #39063

righto, anyone have any pointers on a failing heater blower switch and control cables that half do the job. The heater switch only worked on max blow (position 2), never worked on slow blow position 1. Now it isn't working at all, so looks like I will have to investigate, while I'am at it, i will take a peek at the control cables, esp the cold air feed as its seems connected but not working.

Are we talking a dash strip or can heater fascia be removed to gain access to blower switch / cables

Cheers all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

heater blower switch/control cable access 2 months 5 days ago #39064

Can you control the temperature that comes out when the fan is working? I ask this as one of the cables connect to a heater control valve which is prone to seizing, giving a constant warm feed (if seized in the warm position) which might be why you don't appear to have a cold air feed? You have to be a contortionist to replace it, but it is possible to do with the dashboard in place. It is 15 years since I did mine on my last car, so I can't remember exactly what I did, I just remember having a very sore back for a few days afterwards!

heater blower switch/control cable access 2 months 2 days ago #39068

LOL, actually I shouldn't laugh, sore back ain't much fun, been there before too from another job that required bending oneself into impossible shapes for under dash rectification work.

Yes I see the hot water valve you mention, that all works good, its the lower most cable that is not working plus the blower switch

heater blower switch/control cable access 2 months 2 days ago #39070

The lower cable has a small white connector on the heater end which can break. Hopefully the fan problem is the switch itself or the two wires from it to the motor.

Best wishes, Geoffrey.

heater blower switch/control cable access 1 month 3 days ago #39114

Any news on your endeavour ?

I'm asking because I've started driving mine yesterday for the 1st time :)

There are a few things I'd like to get right , one being the heater.

The middle lever is snapped off and the lower one is really stiff, it doesn't move much if at all, I recon if I try to force it that it will snap as well.

My green indicator lights have stopped working in the dash as well so I was wondering if its a dash out or can both be fixed with dash in situ ?

My sterio is out and I can see 3 screws, two at the bottom and one top tight.

I took the two bottom ones out but its tight in there, I think there's got to be a 4th maybe a 5th or is it connected to the speedo console ? I don't know.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

heater blower switch/control cable access 1 month 3 days ago #39115

The stiff lever sounds like it is due to a seized heater valve/thermostat. It can be replaced without taking the dash out, but it is difficult and I wouldnt recommend it if you suffer from back problems! Access to the thermostat might be improved once you remove the speedo pod if you are doing both jobs at the same time.

Its a long time since I removed a speedo pod, so apologies if this info is incorrect - there is short section of the speedo cable which connects the main cable to the speedometer, which you will need to disconnect to free the pod, if memory serves, this needs to be done from the front of the car, underneath the windshield scuttle, remove the plastic grills and the above should make sense.

heater blower switch/control cable access 1 month 3 days ago #39116

I thought the bottom lever was the fresh air lever ?

heater blower switch/control cable access 1 month 3 days ago #39117

Apart from removing the speedo cable (thanks for that by the way) how do I remove speedo pod?

heater blower switch/control cable access 1 month 1 day ago #39130

I found this youtube clip re removing speedo and dash.

The speedo console starts at just after 2 mins.

Not sure if it will work on RHD ?

Jason

www.google.co.uk/search?q=youtube&gws_rd...ILWsyjLYODgAbI7pL4Cg

Last Edit: by Jason.

heater blower switch/control cable access 1 month 1 day ago #39135

Can't get the link to go to the video. Is the address correct?

Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
As seen in Classic & Sports car....
As seen in Auto Italia.....
As seen on Fifth Gear....!!!!
Lido ALF 704S

heater blower switch/control cable access 1 month 1 day ago #39139

I tried to remove my speedo pod / binnacle a few weeks ago. I put a post on the forum (Instrument binnacle removal) as I soon encountered a problem after taking off the steering wheel and taking out the five Allen screws that hold the pod in place. I got some great help from other members; their advice may be helpful to you too.

heater blower switch/control cable access 1 month 1 day ago #39141

Andy,
Just for the record .
Over the years my dislike for tech has grown and grown to the point I am seriously considering selling my house , learning to sail and getting the duck away from it all - I'm not kidding !

It comes as no surprise that something I done with technology doesn't work the way I thought it was meant to.

However, go to YouTube and search dash demove x19. There's a long intro, 2 mins , by an american, but he does finally get there.

Kieth.
Can you pop up a link to the speedo removal.
I'm struggling to find my way around this new site - I don't have much patience for tech these days.

Thanks and good luck.

Jason

heater blower switch/control cable access 1 month 1 day ago #39144

heater blower switch/control cable access 4 weeks 1 day ago #39159

Thanks, useful information and even better with photo's :)

heater blower switch/control cable access 3 weeks 5 days ago #39170

I had all of my dash out while chasing an electrical fault last summer, relatively straightforward.

as has been said, the mesh cover beneath the drivers-side wiper needs to come off to access the speedo cable connection. Two screws (visible) and a bolt underneath the mesh cover itself (which you can't see)

disconnect the speedo the cables, leaving the short one attached to the binnacle.

get back into the car and undo the five allen head screws visible.

With the five screws out, carefully draw the binnacle forward until you can see the back of it. This allows you to disconnect the three electrical multi plugs on the back (these three are different, so don't worry about mixing them up when you refit)

I didn't take my steering wheel off. so there is a bit of gently wriggling involved to 'ease' the binnacle out from the dash housing, still with the short section of speedo cable attached.

With the binnacle out of the way, access to the heater controls/cable and wiring for the clock etc are all now a hell of a lot easier. When I retro-fitted my Voxsan radio, I took the dash binnacle out to make life a lot simpler.

btw, whereabouts in Bristol are you? I work in Filton and use my X at least once a week for my commute

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds