user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users

TOPIC: Special Series 1300 Restoration

Special Series 1300 Restoration 1 year 6 months ago #35999

Something I've always wanted to do is drive to Italy from England. Through France, Switzerland, over the Alps and then explore the Italian lakes and towns before heading back on a different route. Of course, such a 'dream drive' would have to be made in a suitable Italian Exotic...
Ever since seeing The Italian Job as a kid I promised myself I would do it... drive those roads in something gorgeous... one day...

Well, it's One Day time.
I'm aiming to do it this year in late summer with my son as a co-driver. A proper Boys' adventure! Over the years I've been very lucky to have owned many beautiful Italian cars and I could've made the trip in any one of them, but for some reason, money, relationship, time etc, I've never done it.

So- the car! Well, I have a few projects... I could go in any one of half a dozen but I've chosen to do it in my Special Series X1-9. Maybe it would be more fun in my HPE VX but I think the scenery deserves the open top experience! The X is in usable condition; purchased off ebay a year ago it passed the mot last august with no advisories, but it is rough. I would enjoy the trip much more if it was gleaming! So a very focused and quick restoration is about to happen. That is... providing I don't discover anything really nasty...
It is bodily rusty which usually means there's far worse out of sight but I've had a poke around and nothing obvious is jumping out at me. The turrets are all sound, floors look great etc. So here's hoping!
I'm torn between originality and subtle mods... I know most of us X1/9 owners are in that boat but I feel it especially because it's a 1300 X1-9; they really should be preserved, restored rather than modified... shouldn't they? What do you all think on that subject? I'm also undecided whether to rebuild the engine. It runs beautifully, no smoke, no noises. It's definitely coming out of the car though as I want to be able to paint the engine bay properly so while it's out I may well open it up... I've just done a compression test and it's ok so there's no real need but I do like to be thorough.
I'll try to post progress on here fairly regularly so you can all spur me on! I've promised my boy we're going now so I have to get it done!!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: peter thorpe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Andrew Sinclair.

Special Series 1300 Restoration 1 year 6 months ago #36000

Great idea B) . Personally I would try to keep the car original as possible. Any engine of that age would benefit from a rebuild even if the compressions seem okay. If you strip it down you'll find the crank needs a touch up, the bores are getting marginal, valves need attention, etc. However if it is running well I would just give it a good clean and service and spend my money on new ignition components (electronic ignition?) and carb refurbish (+ electric fuel pump?) , new water pump and belts, possibly replace radiator if it looks a bit crusty - all for piece of mind on the long journey

Special Series 1300 Restoration 1 year 6 months ago #36001

Agree with all the above Speedy, especially the electronic ignition.
As for the carb rebuild... I actually have twin 40dcnfs begging to be fitted... I should, shouldn't I?? B)

Special Series 1300 Restoration 1 year 6 months ago #36003

Excellent idea. Having recently stripped quite a few engines of varying ages for modification purposes, I have been astounded at just how robust the engine is - if it is showing no obvious problems, spend the money elsewhere. As for the carbs, the 40 dcnf manifold does not work that well on the flow bench so you don't get as much gain as you would hope for. However, it will sound a bit better!!! Keep us all posted on progress.

Special Series 1300 Restoration 1 year 6 months ago #36004

Martin Rutter wrote: As for the carbs, the 40 dcnf manifold does not work that well on the flow bench so you don't get as much gain as you would hope for.

Really? that's a shame.. :(

Martin Rutter wrote: However, it will sound a bit better!!!

Oh I know it will! My Montecarlo has twin carbs and because they're right behind your head it sounds incredible. Well... I mean soundED. Hasn't moved for years. Too many projects, too little time...
I would expect the X to be a little quieter but not much.

It needs a full new exhaust too. Opinions seem very divided on that subject. Anyone got a recommendation on a good one? Do the stainless ones sound tinny? I always think they look gorgeous but sound awful...

Making a start on the car tomorrow. I'll probably remove the interior and hope to see footwells... lol. Look great from underneath but cruddy underseal can hide a lot, as I KNOW you'll ALL know!!

Special Series 1300 Restoration 1 year 6 months ago #36012

...And so it began... :cheer:

Removed the interior. I didn't enjoy the little springs under the seats! What a pita to get out... can't see them going back in! The seats look fine from a distance but they're quite grubby. The stitching has come away on a few joins but also there are two holes, one a cig burn and one a rip. So... what to do with them... I don't suppose anyone has a source for the material...? A ridiculously long shot I know but, you never know if you don't ask! I am keen to keep the colours so a retrim would be an interesting option as the colours appear to be dyed on to the material. I would think a trimmer could stitch different coloured material together no problem, my concern would be feeling the joins right down the middle of the seats...
Carpet is probably ok but very sunbleached. I'll clean it up and decide what to do... dye it probably. Would prefer black but I've got the Originalty Police shouting at me in my head... lol. The vinyl on the door cards is great although a the boards are a little damp at the bottoms. I'll probably strip them, make new cards from 3mm ply, varnish it and then reattach the vinyl. I've done this before on 70s flat door cards and it works a treat!
So... what's the floor like? I hear you all shout... Actually, I was pleasantly surprised- it's ok! Yes, a few scabby holes in the outer edges of the footwells, which was expected, but that's all. Really pleased. They'll weld up easily.
I'm more concerned with the sills... shown in one of the pics is the view down into the sill area, shot taken from inside the spare wheel well.
There seems to be a sill held on with glass-fibre bridging filler... :ohmy:
Now, there is a chance that this was just applied to work as a sealant over the top edge of a new sill panel which had been welded on... but I doubt it... I reckon the cowboys have been in there... terrible really, what some folk will do to keep a car going, especially a targa which relies on it's sills for structure. Anyway, time will tell.
The front wings are well n truly foooooked as you can see. Are there any new steel wings available? I can hear the laughter as I ask the question but, as I said above, you never know... Failing that, anyone got a pair of rust free front wings for sale? Oi, stop laughing!!
Failing that... what's the consensus on g/f wings? Oh, the OrigPol are shouting at me now... I know, I know, but waddaya do when the options dry up?
Thoughts please, thank you!

Last Edit: by Andrew Sinclair.

Special Series 1300 Restoration 1 year 6 months ago #36013

For panels, contact Eurosport (or Henk at www.x19partsholland.nl ).
The only easily available ss exhaust is the CSC system, Eurosport stock these. I think it is fair to say that it does not really offer much improvement but not everyone is out for the last few bhp. I have a really good full race ss system but it's massive and you need to chop the rear bulk head to fit it (it's also very expensive!!)
Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Sinclair

Special Series 1300 Restoration 1 year 6 months ago #36014

Was this car bought from Rosyth in Scotland ?

Special Series 1300 Restoration 1 year 6 months ago #36015

Michael wrote: Was this car bought from Rosyth in Scotland ?

Nearby- Glenrothes. Around 1 year ago.

Special Series 1300 Restoration 1 year 6 months ago #36016

Ah I brought that car up from down south a couple of years ago, but didn't have the time to do it justice, I did think it had been sitting for a lot of time

Special Series 1300 Restoration 1 year 6 months ago #36018

Nice car! keep the updates and photos flowing!

Who needs 4th gear anyway...

Special Series 1300 Restoration 1 year 6 months ago #36021

Hello Andrew,

The seats in my blue 1300 were very dirty and covered in stains and marks that just seemed to move around when I used car fabric cleaners with a sponge. When I laid it up for a couple of years thinking it was a ‘goner’ I took the seats out and doused them with Vanish then I used my power washer on them. They cleaned up really well although the foam cushions took a while to completely dry out.

Good luck with your restoration

Keith
Attachments:

Special Series 1300 Restoration 1 year 6 months ago #36022

That's quite a remarkable clean up there.

I can imagine the seats needed a fair while to dry out though

Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
As seen in Classic & Sports car....
As seen in Auto Italia.....
As seen on Fifth Gear....!!!!
Lido ALF 704S

Special Series 1300 Restoration 1 year 6 months ago #36023

• Matt
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a really nice pair of "deckchair" seats that I would sell.

Special Series 1300 Restoration 1 year 5 months ago #36070

Well... I've been slightly distracted from the X for a few weeks...
My daily driver, a Citroen AX GTI, had a little scabby bit on the o/s sill, so I thought I'd better sort it out before the X took over my garage for 4 months... and the little scabby bit turned into a metre long patch on the outer sill, similar on the inner sill and about half a metre on the floor! I love the little Citroen and I had to do it but I was so frustrated as I wanted to get on with the X!!
Anyway, it's done now so back to the job in hand. Got the X in my garage and spent this afternoon taking the engine out. A bit awkward, the underneath thing, but I got there in the end, only to find the hoist that was lifting the car up was in the way of sliding the engine out the back... so it came out of the wheelarch!
I'll get it on a stand tomorrow and get to stripping it down.
The gearbox needs overhauled too- it has the usual Fiat thing of crunching into third. Can anyone recommend a good place up north (proper north, not Manchester)? There are a couple of reasonable local garages here that I'd trust with the job if no-one has any great recommendations. And while the 4speed box is opened up are there any mods that I should carry out?

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.355 seconds