Looks like we were faced with very similar problems there!
I didn't cut out like you did, rather I intend to have a drain hole on the lower edge of the rear wing repair panel instead. Should have the same effect though.
Did you make your own repair panel? Impressive!
It's looking good just keep going... yes I made all my own panels I did purchase some panels from Eurosport uk I know they didn't make them but they didn't fit so I had to add more to them it took some time to get them to fit correctly.
This picture shows additional work needed it's not the patch where the welding is it's the bit going across the scuttle and where the window will eventually fit so much work was required here. The second picture probably gives you a better idea of what I mean.
Yes David, I agree, the Eurosport panels don't fit perfectly, I've had to modify a couple. But they're a good place to start, especially the lower rear quarter as it curves around the back... I wouldn't like to try to make that! Your patches are great! Luckily I don't need any repairs to my screen frame.
Jeremy, thank you
We're both on medication...
And the saga continues...
The rear lower quarter is a very tricky shape to try to repair. Luckily we have the wonderful Claire at Eurosport to supply us with handmade replacement sections. Now, they don't fit perfectly by any means, but with a little fettling they are good enough. Here are some pics of the section in question. Extremely rust-ravaged, it was all cut back to good metal in preparation for the new bits.
These pics show the 'floor' of the boot corner being fitted. I decided to seam weld it for strength and rigidity. In order to meet with the inner wheelarch I had to 'persuade' the wheelarch by cutting into it in strips and kinda stretching it to meet up with the edge of the new panel. These slits were then filled in with weld, and the edge of the new panel then seam welded to the inner arch. There is also a pic of the rear lower corner panel being fitted. This was a real challenge. I had to weld a strip of steel behind the cut panel on the car to allow me to weld the replacement corner panel onto it. After an hour or so trying to line up the new panel to the cut on the car, which is curving in multi directions, this seemed like the best approach.
These pics show the tacking into place of the rear corner panel, and then the attempted fitting of the rear panel. As you can see, this panel is MILES out! A good half inch out. The corner panel was checked for straightness by using a steel rule down the seam on the car in the panel above, under the rear light, when I tack welded it into place. It was spot on, so I knew the fault lay with the rear panel. So, after a bit of swearing and head scratching I decided to cut off the inner flange of the rear panel, then cut out the half inch tapered section that was wrong, and then weld the flange back onto it so that it would now line up with the flange on the corner panel. It worked out fine in the end
Here is the rear panel being seam welded into place, complete with repositioned flange also now seam welded, and the corner panel now seam welded onto the car. The two new panels are welded together in places, the gaps between the flanges will be filled with PU sealer/adhesive, similar to original construction. You will also see the cut out and patch in the rear panel... the 1300 panel wasn't in stock when I ordered so I took the 1500 panel with the bumper cut-out. All I had to do was cut out a simple rectangle and fit a neat patch in, buttwelded to the new panel.