• Page:

TOPIC: 5" hub caps

5" hub caps 2 months 2 weeks ago #39947

• Sean
  • Sean's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Anyone got one or two Fiat labelled centre hub caps that fit into the Bertone wheels to cover the nuts and fill the space. They should be no more than 5" across, edge to edge.
I need to know before August 24th if they are to posted to an address in East Wales.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5" hub caps 2 months 2 weeks ago #39952

I lost one, couldn't find another, so made my own, no fiat in the middle but just a plain aluminium disk. They are held into the wheel by the end of a black plastic flower pot cut to fit and araldited to the disk. They don't fall off and if they do you make another. As for the Fiat logo, a transfer or something would do but i don't miss the Fiat sign.

5" hub caps 2 months 2 weeks ago #39953

• Sean
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks David, Care to say where you sourced the disk ?

5" hub caps 2 months 2 weeks ago #39957

Here is how I did it. When mine fell off i couldn't find another because they are all at the side of the road, flattened. This is because the tabs that hold them on are not springy, just aluminium. I first made one from Aluminium sheet that I bought from B&Q but; I made tabs like Fiat did and it fell off after a few trips, and is flat at the side of a road somewhere.
I thought; Hmm. It should have plastic tabs that will spring back. i went into the garden and looked for something around the same size. The first thing i picked up, a flower pot, fitted perfectly in the wheel.
I cut the rim off the pot about an inch or so down after measuring. Next I cut tabs in it as you can see in the photo. I cut a disk from the Aluminium sheet with those strong scissor type things. Next another slightly smaller disk. I got the ten minute araldite out and glued one disk to the other with the tabs from the flower pot a loose fit around the circumference. When the glue set I popped it in the wheel and it has remained there. I may fit a sticker of some sort but I think it looks O.K. blank.
I will replace the other three as they fall off or sell them for a fortune before they do.
The photos should speak for themselves.
Attachments:

5" hub caps 2 months 2 weeks ago #39960

• Sean
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
They do indeed David. You are a genius ! If you are selling any let me know but I can't afford " a fortune".
I don't suppose those plastic tie-ons that lock when you pull them tight would look nice !

5" hub caps 2 months 1 week ago #39965

zip ties and assembly tape are the professional mechanic's secret weapon. See Ichiban Moto on you tube, bad ass!
As for selling, what is the current price for "unobtaniunum". its much better to make up a set and not have worries.

5" hub caps 2 months 1 week ago #39973

• Sean
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Me ? Bad ass ? Never ! Not a pro. either ! Unobtainium is priceless, but you have to wonder where all the bits of scrapped X 1/9s went. Maybe they were just as rusty as the cars.

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.134 seconds