user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Alfa 147 problem 16 years 10 months ago #1534

Just after any opinions from those in the garage business for a friend.

He has a 1.6 Alfa 147. He has always had it serviced by the supplying dealer local to where he used to live. It's on a 52 plate (I think) and has done approx 120,000 miles.

Last Monday his cam belt failed. It was over due a service, so he cursed a bit, but accepted that it was pretty musc his own fault. He had it taken to another main dealer near where we work. When they had finished the rebuild they rang him because they couldn't finish the job.

Someone had forced the wrong sump plug in - one from a V6 147 - and damaged the sump. They said that they would have to replace the sump and this would cost another £400 or so.

As the supplying dealer was the only other person to have worked on the car he contacted them, expecting them to meet the cost. After seeing photos of the sump, they have said that the sump didn't need replacing and they won't meet the cost.

My suggestion is to take the removed sump to another garage to get their opinion (in writing), then make a claim against the supplying dealer through the small claims court for the cost of supplying and fitting the new sump plus two days hire car costs plus the cost of the 3rd garage's report.

Any opinions?
Simon Ghent, Club Treasurer
Long Eaton, Nottingham
treasurer@x1-9ownersclub.org.uk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Alfa 147 problem 16 years 10 months ago #1536

• Stonks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Simon

Someone had forced the wrong sump plug in - one from a V6 147 - and damaged the sump. They said that they would have to replace the sump and this would cost another £400 or so.

As the supplying dealer was the only other person to have worked on the car he contacted them, expecting them to meet the cost. After seeing photos of the sump, they have said that the sump didn't need replacing and they won't meet the cost.

My suggestion is to take the removed sump to another garage to get their opinion (in writing), then make a claim against the supplying dealer through the small claims court for the cost of supplying and fitting the new sump plus two days hire car costs plus the cost of the 3rd garage's report.

Any opinions?

This is tricky because it all depends on the goodwill of the dealer (something Alfa/Fiat dealers score pretty poorly for).

I would say the small claims court is an excellent idea and relatively cheap, although proving the dealer put the wrong sump plug in would still be tricky. It would be helpful if a replacement sump plug was listed on an invoice somewhere along the line.

However, a well-executed threat of going to court might make the garage cough up anyway. All avenues have to have been explored before going through the small claims court. So I'd write a firm but polite letter giving the dealer another chance and explaining court proceedings will follow if a satisfactory outcome can't be achieved.

Cheers

Simon (not a solicitor, but some experience of dealing with awkward dealers :D )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds