This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Next best thing to an X1/9 16 years 10 months ago #1649

• SimonH
  • SimonH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I was thinking the other day what fun car I’d have in my garage if the X1/9 didn’t exist. The car it would be having immediately sprung to mind, I was struck at what this revealed about me and the primary reason I have an X1/9. At the same time it would fix the biggest gripe… no, that’s a too harsh a word…frustration with our beloved.

The car? I’d have a Triumph Spitfire. This reveals me to be a poseur on a budget. What is most important to me is style and cost. You can probably now guess what my biggest frustration with the X1/9 is. Have you ever seen a Spit with its bonnet up? Oh the space, the space….

I would be interested to hear what other members would really have (no wishful thinking!) in place of their X1/9s had Mr Bertone never convinced the FIAT bosses to waste lots of money.

SimonH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Next best thing to an X1/9 16 years 10 months ago #1652

A Mk1 MR2, obviously.

:lol:
Simon Ghent, Club Treasurer
Long Eaton, Nottingham
treasurer@x1-9ownersclub.org.uk

Next best thing to an X1/9 16 years 10 months ago #1658

• martin the hat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
But if the exxy didn't exist, Toyota would have had nothing to copy! Look in detail at the mk1 MR2 and you realise it's a mk2 x1/9...what Fiat should have done.

Next best thing to an X1/9 16 years 10 months ago #1668

Next best thing to a X1/9 is EITHER two empty parking places or another X1/9 Having travelled down to France at the weekend seeing numerous other cars of the seventies and eighties nothing with two seats hard roof
removal came into the same cheap mode
1/ Matra with two half tagas did not have the same pleaseing lines as the
X1/9
2/ 914/912 made in Germany
3/ MR 2 not seen at the weekend ......not unless you class the one which we forced the well know MR2 lover PCM to park next to at Maidstone before departure.
"On the wing of a Lear"

Next best thing to an X1/9 16 years 10 months ago #1691

• Stuarttheslaphead
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I had a Spitfire once (what a confession) and they are pretty but after about 5 miles your spine starts to compress due to the appalling hard jaring ride, and they dont even corner that well !

So stick with the Exxy, one of who's many vertues is that it sticks to the road like glue and still has a remarkably compliant ride quality.

Mind you sitting on the front wheel of the Spitfire while working on it is a luxury :)

Next best thing to an X1/9 16 years 10 months ago #1706

After seeing the back wheel of a spitfire overtake an X1/9 in France whilst the rest of the car went over to the hard shoulder

the owner of the Spitfire comment was ...All ways new I should of got a X1/9.Yes Bones retrived the wheel from the French "central reservazion"
and returned it to its owner.
"On the wing of a Lear"

Next best thing to an X1/9 16 years 10 months ago #1710

• Lupin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I confess that I find myself being drawn towards a Jaguar XJS convertible.
O.K. - they're a much heavier and more complex car than the Exxy, but you can pick up a reasonable example for four or five thousand quid, and you've got a car that will do a genuine 150MPH in real luxury and with pretty respectable handling for a car of that size. It's a more expensive option in every way, I know, but I had an XJ6 saloon for a couple of years which I bought for a thousand quid, and in many ways it was the best car I ever owned.

Next best thing to an X1/9 16 years 10 months ago #1712

• Agent Smith
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
you lots should be ashamed of yourselfs, what if it didnt exist!!!!

It does exist, have a look at the club name... and this yappin on about other cars make my blood boil........

THE NEXT BEST THING TO AN X1/9 IS AN X1/9 !!!!!!

The only thing you should be concerned about is the colour......

so please no more this car or that car crap.......

Next best thing to an X1/9 16 years 10 months ago #1713

Calm down dear!

You been taking lessons from Paul?

:lol:
Simon Ghent, Club Treasurer
Long Eaton, Nottingham
treasurer@x1-9ownersclub.org.uk

Next best thing to an X1/9 16 years 10 months ago #1728

• Agent Smith
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I'll take that as a compliment, I'm sure Paul would be pleased...!!!! :lol: :lol:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds