user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bumper conversion 4 years 1 month ago #37815

Those of you knocking the values of an X1/9 - just look what top examples are going for, and prices are on the UP for good original cars, both 1300 and 1500s.

I am not debating the fact the cars look better with 1300 bumpers (properly done), I was just being the devils advocate and giving an opposing view - to go out and spend good money on a very nice 1500 only to then de bumper it is a bit pointless....
1977 Serie speciale in green original spec
1977 Serie speciale in blue modified

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bumper conversion 4 years 1 month ago #37816

I agree with both views and have kept all the parts and holes intact for the car so it can all go back together.

When I removed the 1500 bumpers I was impressed by their design, weight and strength.

I wonder if Trump will make up any silly rules to reduce car imports???
Who needs 4th gear anyway...

Bumper conversion 4 years 1 month ago #37817

Ah the de bumpering question, more contentious than Brexit especially now values are rising!

I've always had an irrational hatred of the 1500 bumpers and de bumpered a very good 1500 thinking it would make me happy. It looked good but I ended up selling it because it still wasn't a 'real' 1300 and I sort of regretted 'vandalising' the 1500......Seems originality meant more to me than I thought.

Anyway I now have a 13 and a 15, neither as solid as the car I sold, but my urge to rip the big bumpers off my 15 is currently under control.....just!

Bumper conversion 4 years 1 month ago #37818

I think I may be in the minority here, but I actually quite like the big bumpers.

Bertone did a good job of styling in a girder at each end though.
Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
As seen in Classic & Sports car....
As seen in Auto Italia.....
As seen on Fifth Gear....!!!!
Lido ALF 704S

Bumper conversion 4 years 4 weeks ago #37819

I like the big bumpers now. When I bought my car the first thing I wanted to do was get rid of the bumpers but now I have had a think.
They protect the car, that was brought home the other week when a big car reversed slowly into me, he couldn't see me and his parking sensors didn't help, but with the bumpers no problem.
The other thing I believe is the extra weight at the front helps the car's handling at speed.
The quarter bumpers look cute but when I think of the panel beating from a minor shunt I come to my senses and think how lucky I am to have bumpers.

Bumper conversion 4 years 4 weeks ago #37821

Funny nobody wants to big bumper a 1300 :lol:

Bumper conversion 4 years 4 weeks ago #37822

• cameron
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • 87 vs, Lido and black 1500
  • Thank you received: 12
My first x1/9 WNB 880S was a 1300 that was converted too big bumpers and 1500 seats.
Red over Black VS
Lido
Black 1500

Bumper conversion 4 years 4 weeks ago #37824

Personally, I think the big bumpers are a travesty to the original design. They were forced upon the car by American legislation. The car was never intended to have them, and they look ridiculous to me. The rear bumper obscures that lovely swage line that dips down for the square number plate. The front bumper is the worst though. It's curved! The X has a sharp pointed nose. It just doesn't match the shape. And as for those plastic end bits, what the hell were they thinking...?? The swage line in the body on the front wings just disappears behind a big lump of plastic that bears no resemblance to the body at all... I hate the 1500 bumpers. For me, they totally ruined the design of the car. I was only 12 when they were introduced but I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw them. Awful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeremy

Bumper conversion 4 years 4 weeks ago #37825

Andrew Sinclair wrote: Personally, I think the big bumpers are a travesty to the original design. They were forced upon the car by American legislation. The car was never intended to have them, and they look ridiculous to me. The rear bumper obscures that lovely swage line that dips down for the square number plate. The front bumper is the worst though. It's curved! The X has a sharp pointed nose. It just doesn't match the shape. And as for those plastic end bits, what the hell were they thinking...?? The swage line in the body on the front wings just disappears behind a big lump of plastic that bears no resemblance to the body at all... I hate the 1500 bumpers. For me, they totally ruined the design of the car. I was only 12 when they were introduced but I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw them. Awful.

I wanted to say this but... I didn't want to be mean! Haha.

Bumper conversion 4 years 4 weeks ago #37826

When I look I my 1300 I think great design that shouts 70's. When I look at my 1500 I think 1980's - Big hair, big shoulder pads........BIG BUMPERS! - Some would say the decade that taste forgot, but I love both

Bumper conversion 4 years 4 weeks ago #37827

I had a vw lupo reverse into my car. They couldn't see it out their rear window! With the bumpers on - their rear bumper was caved in and you couldn't tell that anything had happened to the X. Not the same story when someone gently drove into it when it had no bumpers!
Who needs 4th gear anyway...

Bumper conversion 4 years 4 weeks ago #37828

cameron wrote: My first x1/9 WNB 880S was a 1300 that was converted too big bumpers and 1500 seats.

It still happens today with people spending good money bringing modern cars up to the latest spec, only for people to spend even more to go the other way when the cars become classics :silly:

Bumper conversion 4 years 4 weeks ago #37829

• cameron
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • 87 vs, Lido and black 1500
  • Thank you received: 12
Just for the record i purchased the 1300 with the 1500 bits added on, i don't want people thinking i had done such a heinous atrocity to a 1300. The big bumpers look far better in silver than black because they contrast well with a good set of alloys.
Red over Black VS
Lido
Black 1500

Bumper conversion 4 years 4 weeks ago #37831

I had wondered what the contentious issue amongst X1/9 owners would be ;)

I'm de-bumpering my '82 model, but as someone else said, it will be done in a manner that the originals can go back on if the next owners decides...but I have no intention of selling...

Bloody cars, get under your skin, eh?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds