user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Instrument binnacle removal 5 years 2 weeks ago #38713

Hello All,

I’m trying to replace the light bulb for the indicator warning lamp in the instrument binnacle (the bulb still works but you can only see it flash when it’s dark). However, I can’t get the binnacle out, it will only come forward 50mm then it just won’t move any further and I don’t have the nerve to pull it any harder. Before I put it back I thought I would ask here if anyone else has had this problem. Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thank you

Keith
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Instrument binnacle removal 5 years 2 weeks ago #38714

Hi Keith,

This is because you need to disconnect the speed cable...if you look in the scuttle bay near to the wiper motor you should see the cable coming up through the a hole just out side the scuttle wall, there will be a plastic cover that needs to be removed if you need to remove the entire cale you wont need to do this. Now you may have a 2 piece cable you need to try and disconnect the smaller section of this cable once you've done this you should be able to remove the instrument panel. When I replaced my cable I opted for a longer cable, that's easier said than done I was lucky because my car was stripped to the bone.

If you look close enough you can just see the cable going under the wiper motor extension arm.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith Waterhouse

Last edit: by David Fisher.

Instrument binnacle removal 5 years 2 weeks ago #38715

Hi David,

Thanks for your help.

I can see the speedo cable passing through the scuttle space but there’s no joint there and there’s no free play on the cable. I thought the joint between the long and short cables was behind the binnacle. I’m beginning to think that I may have a one piece cable that’s been fixed to the binnacle first and then pulled through and fixed without any thought for future maintenance; that could explain why the bulb is so dim.

Thanks again

Keith

Instrument binnacle removal 5 years 2 weeks ago #38716

Hi Keith,

In that case you will need to remove the plastic cover, check under the fire wall to see how much slack there is to play with if there is a bit of cable try to push it up from under the dash. DON'T pull it, when you've got a bit os slack you should be able to gently pull the binnacle out.

Dave

Instrument binnacle removal 5 years 2 weeks ago #38717

Thanks David, I'll try that.

Instrument binnacle removal 5 years 1 week ago #38718

Hi Both on my 83 x19 the speedo joint is under the windscreen scuttle I think?.

I have just looked at a spare binnacle I have in my garage and taken some photos, sorry I can't get to the car tonight to pop the front bonnet as my garage is a mess from working on the house over the weekend !
Will take a look tomorrow and send you another photo.

Cheers Jon G
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith Waterhouse

Instrument binnacle removal 5 years 1 week ago #38719

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your help and photograph. I’ve had another look this morning; I can’t see any joints like the one in your photograph. I’m now convinced that my speedo cable is a single unit that’s been fixed firmly in place. I’ve tried pushing it up from below like David suggested but it just won’t give. I’ve now put the binnacle back in its place as I feel that this could turn into quite a major and risky fix (for me) for the sake of a small light bulb. I think I’ll try connecting a new warning lamp into the indicator circuits.

Regards

Keith
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds