user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Clutch slave

Clutch slave 2 months 1 week ago #39839

Hello,
I’ve just jumped in the car to go out and found no pressure to the clutch pedal. No leaks from the master cylinder but the slave is surrounded by damp black oily mess. There’s also only about 5mm of oil left in the reservoir.
I assume the slave cylinder seals have gone and have just ordered a new one plus, flexi hose, washers etc from Eurosport.
Any tips for replacing it? I will obviously need an assistant to help bleed it all.

Oh and is dot 4 ok now? The cap says dot3.

This isn’t the first time it’s needed replacing either -nick troth came up and did it on the drive about 10years ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1989 SE in mica blue
1985 Citroën 2cv6
1994 Mercedes Benz E320 coupé

Clutch slave 2 months 1 week ago #39841

I normally unbolt the expansion tank and move it to one side to get better access to the slave cylinder.
Also, it is worth photographing and measuring the position of the release arm from the slave cylinder before you take the old one off. This helps with setting up the new one when fitted.
The other thing that i have found is when bleeding it, I have needed to force open the release arm with a bar to get all the air out of the slave cylinder. Until I did this there was no resistance in the pedal.
The slave cylinders tend to need replacing more than the master ones in my experience.

Good luck.

Cheers

Andy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Morris

Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
As seen in Classic & Sports car....
As seen in Auto Italia.....
As seen on Fifth Gear....!!!!
Lido ALF 704S

Clutch slave 2 months 1 week ago #39842

Hello Richard,

I changed the clutch slave on my Gran Finale a couple of weeks ago after having gear selection issues. I was dissapointed to have to do this again as it was only three years since I last tackled it. Access isnt too bad - just take your time and follow Andys advice regarding bleeding as it can take time to regain pressure at the pedal. I invested in a decent set of brake pipe spanners and used a pressure bleeder for the second time. I found it to work o.k as long as a good seal was made at the fluid resevoir. I used DOT4 fluid again this time.

Good luck
Chris.

XXX

Clutch slave 2 months 1 week ago #39843

I keep writing replies then the website looses them.

Anyway.

Thanks for the advice both, I think swapping the slave over is within my capabilities, but perhaps the bleeding and setting up the arm is not. My mechanic friend has said he’ll come over and do it when the parts arrive.

It was driving perfectly, I went up to a (non work) meeting on Tuesday in it ( 60miles return) and it was no trouble, although the pedal was heavy. But then it’s always been like that.

I’m booked in to the Capel Classic in August, so need it fixed by then or I’ll let the side down!

1989 SE in mica blue
1985 Citroën 2cv6

Clutch slave 2 months 1 week ago #39844

It should only take an afternoon to complete the job.
Just take your time with it.
The picture below shows roughly the measurements you need to take before dismantling the arm. (Apologies for draughting quality)

As Chris says, DOT 4 fluid is the one to use.

Attachments:

Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
Lido ALF 704S
Last Edit: by Andy Rowley.

Clutch slave 1 month 4 weeks ago #39893

Well the slave was replaced but we ran out of time to bleed it on Tuesday. My mechanic friend came back today with the proper kit and a long pry bar to move the arm as suggested.
There is definitely no air in the system, but there’s no pressure on the pedal. Only a very small fountain of fluid too from the bleed nipple.

The fluid was black though, which he seems to think means the seals have probably gone on the master. Another Eurosport order in the offing!
Any tips for changing the master cylinder ? And anything else I should buy at the same time?

Thanks,
Richard

1989 SE in mica blue
1985 Citroën 2cv6

Clutch slave 1 month 3 weeks ago #39901

Richard,

Be careful with the bleed kit.
I followed the instructions, let the air out of the supply tyre, until very little left.
Connected the system up and bang, blew the top off the supply reservoir.
It turned out it was very brittle with age and the small amount of pressure was still too much for it.
So a second hand one was found.
With a month or so delay.
I bet if I’d have used the old fashioned method it would have lasted longer.

Regards
Simon

Clutch slave 1 month 3 weeks ago #39903

We just had an eezi bleed. No pressure build up.
Claire at Eurosport has sent the new master cylinder and I’ve removed the seat and steering column shroud ready. My mechanic will have another go at it next weekend. It’s booked into the Capel Classic the weekend after.

Attachments:

1989 SE in mica blue
1985 Citroën 2cv6

Clutch slave 1 month 3 weeks ago #39904

Oh, and I know the link to the spring is odd but that’s how Nick Troth left it and it works.

1989 SE in mica blue
1985 Citroën 2cv6

Clutch slave 1 month 3 weeks ago #39905

You might want to take the steering column out completely. I have done that before and it does give you quite a bit more room.
You can split it at the lower column joint quite easily.

While you are in there it might be worth checking the heater valve isn't leaking. It's easier to replace when the clutch master cylinder is out of the way if you need to.

Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
Lido ALF 704S

Clutch slave 1 month 3 weeks ago #39914

Simon Wilson wrote: Richard,

Be careful with the bleed kit.
I followed the instructions, let the air out of the supply tyre, until very little left.
Connected the system up and bang, blew the top off the supply reservoir.
It turned out it was very brittle with age and the small amount of pressure was still too much for it.
So a second hand one was found.
With a month or so delay.
I bet if I’d have used the old fashioned method it would have lasted longer.

Regards
Simon

Ah, the easy bleed system, the most effective way to to cover your precious car and garage with brake and clutch fluid .:lol:
Apart from all the other useful advice already given I found that unbolting the pedal box and allowing it to drop down a few inches made the job alot easier. The pipe unions can be very stiff and so a proper pipe spanner is a good investment.
While your at it check the pipe from the reservoir, very often well past it's best.
A sheet of decent foam draped over the door sill will make the job a lot more comfortable
It should bleed very easily, even under gravity if you have a bit of patience

Last Edit: by Speedy Fiat.

Clutch slave 1 month 1 week ago #39976

Well rick said it wasn’t easy! Done in two hours though. All back together and running fine.

Left the column in place to do it. He said the hard part was getting the big return spring fitted. It also took quite a lot of pumping to get the air and then the old black fluid out. He took the reservoir off to clean it as it had a layer of black slime coating it. He thinks that the old flexi hose had broken down inside and that’s where all the black mess was from as it was too much for just the piston o rings.

Anyway, all back together and a quick test drive up and down the park and it’s perfect again.
Attachments:

1989 SE in mica blue
1985 Citroën 2cv6
Last Edit: by Richard Morris.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 4.225 seconds