user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Has the garage damaged my sump?

Has the garage damaged my sump? 3 months 4 days ago #39875

Hello everyone,
After my very excited purchase of my X 1/9 I thought I would change the oil.

I got the oil and filter. I didn’t have a 12mm hex so gave the parts to my local garage who have worked on my classic mini and merc 190e.

The guy calls me and says the oil is dripping from the sump plug.

He says there shouldn’t be a sump washer as the plug is tapered and the thread inside the sump is sheared.

Does this happen?

What’s the solution?
He wants to drill the hole, rethread it and put a bigger sump plug in.
New sump?
Or just put a washer on it?

It wasn’t dripping oil before.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Has the garage damaged my sump? 3 months 3 days ago #39878

It needs a washer. He sounds not very good. Tapered hole!
Find an honest mechanic who knows what he is doing.
Tell us where you are and we will recommend a mechanic.
If you have a drive, get some ramps and do it yourself next time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bhavash

Has the garage damaged my sump? 3 months 3 days ago #39880

This happened to me recently. The threads had been stripped prior to my ownership and fixed with sealant. Your mechanic is right - if it is a tapered plug you shouldn't use a washer, but mine was and as I really didn't want to take the sump off I managed to do a passable repair using 2 washers - there is still a little thread left on the outer part of the hole and the washers stop the plug from going into the stripped area. Eurosport list the original plug as being a shoulder and crush washer type for all models though, so maybe we have both been the victims of previous bodges. I researched all the options at the time and again your mechanic's right. Either drill out and fit a larger plug or you can use a slightly larger self tapping plug which is not that expensive. Like this. . If you think the garage was responsible, maybe buy the plug and get them to fit is as it will be a proper pain to fit without a high ramp.

Last Edit: by Steve Williams.

Has the garage damaged my sump? 3 months 3 days ago #39884

I have these pics of the sump plug and sump.

I live in sw London. Who’s good?
Attachments:

Has the garage damaged my sump? 3 months 3 days ago #39885

The sump plugs on X1/9s are not tapered.
They have a flat washer fitted as standard I think.

However, the material used for the later sumps (GFs) was not always as good as on the earlier cars.

I change my oil and am always careful when taking out and refitting the sump plug. However, when doing an oil change a few years ago I got the dreaded thread bits coming out with the plug.:(
I sourced a second hand sump from a earlier car and have had no problems since.
Replacing the sump is not an enjoyable job. The worst bit was trying to get the new sump gasket/seal to stay in place when refitting whilst oil is dripping on you!!

If you have an earlier car then as your mechanic suggests drill out and fit a threaded insert and new plug.

Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
As seen in Classic & Sports car....
As seen in Auto Italia.....
As seen on Fifth Gear....!!!!
Lido ALF 704S

Has the garage damaged my sump? 3 months 3 days ago #39886

I’ve only had my car 2 weeks and although I got an oil filter and oil tonchange it myself I didn’t have a 12mm hex so got the garage to do it. It was going in for brakes anyway.

The oil from previous owner hadn’t been changed in a while and I like to do these things myself and always service my classic mini myself so I’m quite familiar with getting my hands dirty.
I think the lack of oil change from the previous owner might be due to a bodged sump plug and sealed to stop oil leaking.

Has the garage damaged my sump? 3 months 3 days ago #39887

Thank you. Mines a 1989 gran finale.

Has the garage damaged my sump? 3 months 3 days ago #39889

It would be worth checking the condition of the sump material around the hole with yours being a Gran Finale.
However, if your mechanic can fit an insert then try and go with that.

You will find with the Gran Finale that the tooling was starting to wear out and things don't fit together quite as well as earlier cars.

Let us know how you get on with the sump plug.

Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
As seen in Classic & Sports car....
As seen in Auto Italia.....
As seen on Fifth Gear....!!!!
Lido ALF 704S

Has the garage damaged my sump? 3 months 3 days ago #39890

Ha ha. Mine 89 GF too!

Has the garage damaged my sump? 2 months 3 weeks ago #39915

Unfortunately an all to common issue of hamfisted mechanics working on the principle of ".....do it up as tight as you can" If you use a torque wrench you'll be surprised at how little force is required in many instances e.g sump plugs.
My sump was helicoiled for the same issue and it wasn't that successful as it wasn't inserted square and so needs a very squishy washer to seal. It needs to be done with precision.

Has the garage damaged my sump? 2 months 3 weeks ago #39929

I stripped my 5 sped gear box right down and replaced many gears, bearings plugs and seals etc...the drain plug did not have a washer and the oil in the box before stripping was not leaking from the sump plug.

I have just this week filled the gear box up with fresh MT90 gear oil, all you need to do is make sure you tighten the sump nut enough. It wont leak just make sure it is tight.

Dave

Has the garage damaged my sump? 2 months 3 weeks ago #39932

Thank you.

The garage rebored a new thread in the sump and used a new sump plug. All well now. (until next oil change..lol.. will watch this space next year) garage is pretty good.

I had my transmission oil changed due to a stiff gearchange whilst at the garage. its still a bit stiff especially going from 4th to 5th when the car is warm. seeing as you stripped out your gearbox

1. what made you rebuild your gearbox

2. how does it feel now?

3 . any tips on what I can do to make changing gear easier? clutch bites very low down and is a bit of a stretch to change gear.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds