user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gear change problems

Gear change problems 2 weeks 3 days ago #39934

Hi all,

I've had my 1500 VS for about a had now and with the summer we've been having so far, it's been great to be able to just get that roof off and trundle around. I say trundle because amongst other reasons, more spirited driving is hampered by the gearchange.

Gears 1,2 and 3 are fine up our down. 4th is sensitive to the last few mm. 5th seems to visit this plane of reality on an entirely random basis.. Any suggestions, diagnoses or advice would be gratefully received.

Rgds

M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gear change problems 2 weeks 2 days ago #39936

If the linkage is a collection of rods and bushes and if any of these get excessive where then the gear change can suffer. A likely candidate is the rubber 'lollipop' situated just before the gear box , one of it's jobs is to take out vibration to the gear lever. The rubber can get soft or detached as well as well as it slipping out of adjustment thereby not allowing you to move the gearlever enough. It's easy to replace, just take some time to set it in the correct position.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maurice Ryan

Gear change problems 2 weeks 2 days ago #39937

Thanks, Speedy.
I spent some time under it this afternoon after finding some threads on the lollipop. The lollipop looks to be in ok condition but, I'm wondering how tight the single rear bolt should be. It's going to have to allow some pivoting but, should there be any vertical movement at all? Could be a problem at the other end. There's almost as much slack on the stick as on my land rover.

Gear change problems 2 weeks 1 day ago #39938

Jobs a goodun. The lollipop connection. With luck, case closed.
Now to find out why it needs to idle for a few minutes to prevent cutting out a minute after starting a drive. Always something :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds