user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seat repair

Seat repair 3 weeks 3 days ago #40677

Hello All,

Some of the stitching gave way on my driver’s seat backrest. I managed to get the cover off (not an easy job) and it’s now with a local cobbler to be repaired. However, three wire rods with looped ends appeared around the foam panel in the middle of the backrest. It looks like these rods were once held in position with flat fabric laces. Does anyone know what these rods do and if it would be ok to take them out? Any thoughts would be most welcome.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Seat repair 3 weeks 2 days ago #40686

Hi Keith,
The rods need to be in place as that is what pulls the cover down tight and gives the seat it's shape. Hessian fabric is attached to the underside of the cover on the seams and the rods attached to the other end, then they are pulled through the slits in the foam and attached to the springs.
Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith Waterhouse

Seat repair 3 weeks 1 day ago #40687

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your post. I’ve got my cover back now, the inside is like you described apart from; my seat doesn’t seem to have any springs. The fabric ties on mine are fixed to the base of the backrest frame with steel pins. I also found a fourth rod inside the cover. I think I may have caused some damage to the inside getting the cover off but the seams and stitching that held the rods in place all look old and perished. I’ll have to put the cover back without the rods for now and see how it goes.

Seat repair 2 weeks 6 days ago #40690

may I use this topic to ask if anybody has replaced the seat foam?

I dismantled seats, removed rust (car either left out in rain or PO had serious incontinence problem) then carefully reassembled, using blanket stitch to secure wires to hessian.

the foam was OK, my main reason for leaving it was its complex shape, which I couldn't easily replicate, and ignorance of the type and density of foam required.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts/experiences.
Attachments:

Seat repair 2 weeks 3 days ago #40700

Hi Jim,

I’ve put my cover back on without using the wire rods and it doesn’t look too bad. I haven’t fully reattached it to the base of the frame as it may have to come off again, I’ll see how it goes for now. Good luck with yours.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Rodger

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds