• Page:

TOPIC: under-body metal coolant pipes.

under-body metal coolant pipes. 3 months 1 week ago #40709

• Eddie
  • Eddie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I've discovered the metal coolant pipes under the car are leaking in a couple of places. A mechanic friend thinks this could be a complicated job and thinks I should renew the whole setup in case there is serious corrosion inside the box section and he didn't want to do a bodge patch up job. I read somewhere online about cutting the metal pipe ends off and pushing plastic radiator pipes through the tubes in the box section as a simple solution. I would be very grateful for any advice on how to fix this problem. Many thanks in advance. Regards, Eddie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

under-body metal coolant pipes. 3 months 1 week ago #40711

Use copper pipes from the plumber, then reducing connectors on the ends from viperperformance with their flexible silicon pipes. They sell connectors as well. The difficulty is cutting at the back and avoiding the speedo cable and forming beads on the ends of the copper pipes. A tool can be made to form these or double smooth sided clips, also from viper work I believe. Mechanics can sometimes be scary if they are not familiar with the job. Another member in Scotland has done it this way.

under-body metal coolant pipes. 3 months 1 week ago #40714

• Eddie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you, that's very helpful.
Do you know if I should use any particular diameter pipe. Would standard radiator size be a bit too narrow? Cheers, Eddie

under-body metal coolant pipes. 3 months 1 week ago #40715

22mm copper pipe fits in the 28 to 35mm reducer. 28mm for the copper pipe expanding to 35 for the standard car pipes. On the internet there are articles that show how to make a primitive beading tool from a pair of crimping pliers or something like that. To do the set up use the silicone flexible pipe from the radiator or thermostat to a coupling, then the reducer to the copper pipe. The pipes should fit through the old steel pipes.
I have not done it yet but the fellow in Scotland has. I forget his name but the message should be on the site somewhere.

under-body metal coolant pipes. 3 months 1 week ago #40719

Me, it was done it on both the turbo car and now Carlos

under-body metal coolant pipes. 3 months 6 days ago #40720

Hi Eddie,

To give you some confidence about doing this job I have also done this to my x19. I used 28mm copper pipe from local plumber merchant.

I put these in while in the middle of my restoration, the engine is in now and all the water pipes are now connected. I used silicone pipe reducers it took a bit of time to sort but is working ok.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddie

Last edit: by David Fisher.

under-body metal coolant pipes. 3 months 6 days ago #40721

• Eddie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks guys for all your helpful advice. It has inspired confidence that it is not the total nightmare of a job I was expecting and it is not beyond my capabilities!

David. That looks like an amazing job. What are the couplings you used to create the bends? Pardon my ignorance... they look like copper push-on connectors, how do they seal? Also, what did you use to seal the gap where the copper pipes sleeve inside the steel pipes? Thanks in advance for your patience with all my questions.

All the best, Eddie

under-body metal coolant pipes. 3 months 5 days ago #40724

Eddie wrote: What are the couplings you used to create the bends? Pardon my ignorance... they look like copper push-on connectors, how do they seal?

They look to be standard copper plumbing fitments which are soldered or brazed in place. My car has a similar set up.

under-body metal coolant pipes. 3 months 5 days ago #40725

I am not as good as you guys, I just cut the the originals and used the 32mm to 28mm silicone connectors. It is also really easy to fit the scirocco radiator with this fix as you can move one of the pipe to connect it to the radiator with the standard pipes

under-body metal coolant pipes. 3 months 4 days ago #40726

Hi Eddie,

The couplings are 28mm 45 degree angle (copper) from my local plumbers merchant and I used top quality solder. The copper pipe pushed through the old original pipe was sealed with seam sealer.

Dave

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds