user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Carburettor Oddity

Carburettor Oddity 2 weeks 5 days ago #40770

I was hoping someone might shed some light on an odd phenomena I've been experiencing.

Occasionally my 1500 loses power and I assumed it was fuel lock due to hot temperatures but it has also happened now on a cold engine. When it occurs the engine won't run nor pull at low and medium revs, it just dies and will only run at very high revs. If I pull over and remove both emulsion tubes and both idle jets then replace them again it cures the problem and the car continues running perfectly normally. I inspect the tubes and jets each time I remove them and they appear clean and unblocked.

Seems strange to me but there must be an underlying issue/cause? Any help would be greatly appreciated. One emulsion tube has 107 inscribed, the other 130. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carburettor Oddity 2 weeks 4 days ago #40779

Mike, my first thought would be fuel filter or maybe a blockage at the tank. As you suck the offending body into the route of the fuel it blocks and restricts supply. After you stop it would naturally drop away within the time it takes you to do your emulsion tube remedy. Have you checked wether you have fuel showing in the filter when the fault occurs? Of course the same goes for air restriction, check just to make sure something is not flapping over the air intake.

Last edit: by Andy Giddings.

Carburettor Oddity 2 weeks 4 days ago #40783

Hi Andy and many thanks for taking the time.

That sounds like a promising lead. I haven't checked the filter when it happens but I will do next time; I will also just leave everything alone and try restating after a few minutes - approx the amount of time I would have spent fiddling with the carb on previous occasions. I'll check the air intake also but I'm pretty sure it's unrestricted. I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks again
Mike
Attachments:

Carburettor Oddity 2 weeks 4 days ago #40787

Mike, you reminded me of an issue I had last year. Car would lose power for a few seconds, then get going again. I thought maybe fuel pump or carb so replaced pump, overhauled carb, replaced pipes but fault still present. In the end it was a faulty spark plug lead, this had caused high voltage at coil which broke it down, that too was replaced and leads. All ok, now. So my advice would be to test leads, condenser, points and coil too. Ie it might not be fuel related. Good luck. Kevin

Carburettor Oddity 2 weeks 4 days ago #40790

Hi Kevin, I think that's a good call although I have very recently installed a new coil, dizzy cap, rotor arm, condenser, points and HT leads. The car has also had the timing done in a garage in the past week so I imagine they would have picked up on an ignition fault at that time. I changed the HT leads as I had the coil lead rub on the engine lid, wear through and short out.

Thanks
Mike

Carburettor Oddity 2 weeks 4 days ago #40792

Hi Mike, I had a similar issue last year and after doing the same as you (new coil, dizzy cap, rotor arm, condenser, points and HT leads) i found the fault by chance during a breakdown that the fuel filter itself had started to break down inside and was intermittently blocking the fuel feed - a £1.50 fix, but very frustrating. Since that time I have now introduced an electric fuel pump, mounted on the nearside of the engine bay, which certainly makes the car run better and even helps hot starting - a bit...

Carburettor Oddity 2 weeks 4 days ago #40795

Could be tiny bits of rubber from the fuel lines or from the fuel pump diaphragm.
New fuel lines are a good idea - ethanol in modern fuel can attack the older spec rubber.
Maybe a filter between the fuel pump and the carb if you haven't already

Carburettor Oddity 2 weeks 3 days ago #40798

Hi Andrew, fuel lines are all new and I have a new filter before the carb. ..just as you suggested. I've driven 50 miles in the car today and it has behaved perfectly. The car had sat in a garage 20 years before it was put back on the road and I bought it. Might just be a few bits and pieces working their way out of the system.
Thanks... Mike

Carburettor Oddity 2 weeks 3 days ago #40799

Hi Andrew, fuel lines are all new and I have a new filter before the carb. ..just as you suggested. I've driven 50 miles in the car today and it has behaved perfectly. The car had sat in a garage 20 years before it was put back on the road and I bought it. Might just be a few bits and pieces working their way out of the system.
Thanks... Mike

Carburettor Oddity 2 weeks 3 days ago #40801

did you check the filter in the carburettor?

Carburettor Oddity 2 weeks 3 days ago #40804

Hi David, I didn't know there was one in the carb itself! No I haven't but will do.
Thanks

Carburettor Oddity 2 weeks 3 days ago #40809

• NRG
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Might be worth checking the carb float isn’t sticking while you are at it ...

Carburettor Oddity 1 week 1 day ago #40838

Many thanks to all for their advice and input. Happily, I have solved my carburettor issue and it turned out to be a simple solution. I checked the main jets and discovered that they were the wrong way round...the primary had the 1.30 fitted and the secondary had the 1.07 fitted!! A quick swap around and the car is going great. Can I now expect better fuel economy or is that asking too much!? Thanks again, Mike.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Hutton

Last edit: by Mike Laing.

Carburettor Oddity 1 week 12 hours ago #40845

• NRG
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Well done!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds