user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Advice on drivers seat positions

Advice on drivers seat positions 2 weeks 12 hours ago #40879

Hello all

I've decided that I have an X1/9 sized hole in my life (or at least on my drive!) but, having been to see one yesterday, I need some advice on whether, whilst I have space for it......does it have space for me?

I'm 6ft 1" tall (185cm) and on the car i tried (a 1981 1500 5 speed) I was struggling to get my left leg out of the way of the steering wheel. The seat was fully back (or seemed to be) but there was still a couple of inches between the seat back and the bulkhead and I was wondering if it was a case of the seat runners maybe being stuck or some other trick.

I appreciate a small Italian sports car is always going to be 'cosy' for someone my height but this could be a drop dead factor which would be a shame. Has anyone else been in the same boat (there's a Fiat Barchetta pun in there somewhere!) and if so is there a solution?

Many thanks

Aidan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advice on drivers seat positions 2 weeks 11 hours ago #40880

I am your height and fit easily. However i went and sat in one before buying one. Where do you live? My seat fits up against the spare wheel.
Also you could fit different seats.
The main thing is to BUY ONE.

Advice on drivers seat positions 2 weeks 9 hours ago #40882

Hi David, thanks for the response. I've been doing a bit more research and found something that says the Bertone manufactured ones ('82 on) had a slightly modified footwell which helps taller drivers - does that sounds right and is yours one of those? The one I tried at the weekend was a 1981 so will be interesting to try a later one to compare. Anyway, sounds like there is a solution which is great news!

Advice on drivers seat positions 2 weeks 9 hours ago #40883

Mine is an '82. I have the seat right back and then reclined. Even with sheep skin covers I fit. i am sure something can be done, they are an adaptable car.

Advice on drivers seat positions 1 week 6 days ago #40886

Hi Aidan,
The earlier 1500s had the seat rails mounted directly on the floor. later ones (post 1983/4) had a cassette style mounting arrangement which make the seats sit about 1" higher than the earlier ones.
I am just under 6 foot and can squeeze in. You do need to wriggle about a bit and settle down nicely in the seat and get your knees up behind the steering wheel.

As said above, there is scope to alter the seat position so that it sits slightly further back, however, you would need to move the seat belt mech to allow this.

Good luck with your search!!

Cheers

Andy
Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
As seen in Classic & Sports car....
As seen in Auto Italia.....
As seen on Fifth Gear....!!!!
Lido ALF 704S

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds