user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Suppressor?

Suppressor? 1 week 1 day ago #40919

Located on the driver's side of my engine lid (1500 1986).

I am assuming that this is a suppressor for the radio and not a ballast resistor for the coil but would like a bit more certainty before fitting a Standard Optronic Ignition.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Suppressor? 1 week 14 hours ago #40920

I do not know what it is, it looks like a condenser as it shows 5 micro farads 360v
However, before fitting the optronic why not look in to the Fiat Uno 1.1 electronic distributor i fitted. It is great, much less expensive.

Suppressor? 1 week 11 hours ago #40922

• NRG
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Yes it’s a radio suppressor

Suppressor? 1 week 4 hours ago #40927

Yes this is a 0.5uF capacitor and it is used to suppress voltage spikes generated by the operation of the coil.
This capacitor will only reduce engine speed related noise carried over the 12volt wiring which is usually heard over the radio's speakers. It is of course connected to the +12volt supply to the coil and not to the contact breaker side.
The engine will run perfectly well without this capacitor.

The capacitor (used to be called the condenser) installed within the distributor has an entirely different function (to reduce arcing at the contact breaker points, extending the life of the points), it also "rings" with the coil and extends the spark duration and energy a bit - anyone offer a more technical explanation? They are not interchangeable.
Sorry if this is over technical!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Punter, Andy Rowley

Suppressor? 6 days 8 hours ago #40931

Thank you everyone for your replies, I thought it best to be absolutely sure. That leaves me clear to install the Optronic Ignition.

Thanks again
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds