Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Repair panels rear wheel housing 1 week 6 hours ago #41835

Hi

First post please be gentle :)

I have just purchased an '83 X1/9 1500. There's some welding needed in the rear shock turret area, where the offiside engine mount attaches.

There dont seem to be any wheel housing repair panels available for the X1/9. Has anyone tackled this repair, or can point me to a good resto thread with pictures?

I'm fairly competent with a mig welder and can fabricate basic repair pieces, but this section has lots of curves, and was wondering if there is a repair panel from an alternative make / model vehicle that I can use. Or get a body cut?? Dont know how realistic that is?

Cheers
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Repair panels rear wheel housing 1 week 5 hours ago #41836

Hi Jim,
I'm a new owner too! 1988 Bertone. Not sure if Eurosport may have some panels.
www.eurosport-uk.net/shop/index.php
Craig.

Repair panels rear wheel housing 6 days 7 hours ago #41837

All four strut areas are very prone to rust as its a sandwich of panels. Check behind the carpet in the front luggage compartment. As far as I know the only repair panels available are for the likes of the bottom wing corners. A donor car is unlikely to be much use as they all do that, if it hasn't it'll be car too good to break for parts. If its not too bad, and to prevent it getting worse, you can smother it in the likes of waxoyl both inside and under the wheel well (where the bracket is welded on) and live with it.
Obviously any repairs need to be done to a high standard for the necessary strength and to keep the suspension/chassis true

Repair panels rear wheel housing 6 days 2 hours ago #41838

Thanks for the replies. It's beyond slapping waxoyl on it I'm afraid. I'll have to get fabricating...

Where abouts are you Craig?

Repair panels rear wheel housing 4 days 5 hours ago #41842

Hi Jim I have just repaired mine the rot was just on the offside fortunately. I took the engine out to get better access and renovated the engine bay at the same time . When you do the work I would recommend you nitromors the area back to bare metal so you can see the extent of the problem I also removed the plate under the wing and refrabricated this as well . Just to warn you if you do this (paintstripper) the problem gets much worse before it gets better but it’s all doable and you’ll not be chasing your tail this way

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds