user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Seized rear wheels 1 year 5 months ago #41990

Hello All,

My car has been garaged for the last two years although I occasionally start it to keep its fluids circulating. However, for the last few months I’ve been unable to move it due to its rear wheels being seized. Without tools I can just move the off side wheel but the near side is stuck fast. Before I go any further and to avoid damage I thought I’d ask for help here first. I realise that it could be the discs and pads that have merged together but whilst I was trying to turn the wheels I thought could it be the drive shafts that have seized in the gearbox. Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thank you

Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Seized rear wheels 1 year 5 months ago #41992

Hi, Keith,
Most likely cause of your problem is seized calipers, the piston is steel, the housing is aluminium, and dissimilar metal corrosion sets in. That's where I would start.
They're a pain, likewise the front ones and need regular servicing, replacement of rubbers parts etc, and the correct brake grease too.
I leave mine parked with the handbrake off, so hopefully it will be movable next time I wish to move it.
Hope that helps,
Pete
Lido 0503 XTB583T currently being restored
Blue Gran Finale A19RVM
Black Honda Civic Type R Facelift DN53EVM
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith Waterhouse

Seized rear wheels 1 year 5 months ago #41995

Hi Pete,

Thank you. I’ll have a closer look at my calipers and handbrake over the next few days and report back.

Seized rear wheels 1 year 4 months ago #41997

Ok, Keith,
Get back to me if you need further help, or pm me for a contact number.
Pete
Lido 0503 XTB583T currently being restored
Blue Gran Finale A19RVM
Black Honda Civic Type R Facelift DN53EVM

Seized rear wheels 1 year 4 months ago #42001

At best the pads have rusted onto the discs. Tapping out the wedges and then levering the calliper off will allow the pads to be removed. If this is the case then the discs may need replacing due to corrosion where the pads sat. You'll have to wind the pistons back in to fit new pads due to the hand brake mechanism, not easy without the correct bit of kit (calliper wind back tool). If they wont go then suspect corrosion between the piston and calliper body. If that's the case then the best option is reconditioned callipers.

Seized rear wheels 1 year 4 months ago #42002

Thanks Speedy Fiat, I'll have a go at doing that. I replaced my rear pads about three years ago (with help from the forum) and since then my car has only done about three hundred miles with just six in the last eighteen months. It's good to know that you and Pete think the problem is with the brakes rather than the drive shafts and gearbox.

Seized rear wheels 1 year 4 months ago #42004

I've managed to free my rear wheels now, they started to move whilst I was undoing the wheel nuts. I jacked each wheel up and turned them several times with a wheel brace. The handbrake seems ok too, makes a change to have a simple fix. Thanks again for your help.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds