user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ethanol 9 months 4 days ago #42349

It may be my imagination, or just the beneficial results to the engine of a long drive but; my mind has been working. If ethanol absorbs water it will be in suspension in the fuel mix. Water injection adds power for a number of reasons and is well proven.
Can it be that water mixed in with the fuel is giving some of these benefits? I had just filled up with the 10%.
It has been niggling me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ethanol 7 months 3 weeks ago #42403

Talking to Steve on the Club stand at the NEC yesterday, he said he has a viehicle with a sticker saying it's OK to use E15 petrol (apologies if I've mangled that, but I think it was the gist), i.e. E15 seems to be a thing. I had a quick Gurgle today, and it seems that it is widely available in USAdia. This from the https://iowarfa.org/ethanol-center/e15/e15-facts/Iowa Renewable Fuels Association ...

Frequently sold as Unleaded 88, E15 is a blend of 15% ethanol and 85% gasoline. It contains 5% more ethanol than E10, which is the most common fuel used in the U.S. E15 is higher in octane — typically 88 octane while E10 has an octane rating of 87. Retailers are offering E15 as Unleaded 88 to highlight its high octane value.

Until recently, gasoline ethanol blends were limited to a maximum of 10% ethanol known as E10. E10 represents 97% of the gasoline sold in the U.S. Unleaded 88 uses the same type of ethanol as blended in E10 but increases the ethanol content in a gallon of gasoline from 10% to 15%.

Unleaded 88 has been approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for use in all 2001 and newer cars, trucks and SUVs. EPA estimates that over 90% of gasoline sold goes into model year 2001 and newer vehicles.

In 2009, the ethanol industry petitioned EPA to approve a blend up to 15% ethanol in gasoline, from the current cap of 10%. Raising the blend from E10 to E15 would accelerate the use of renewable fuel, increase energy security, create U.S. jobs, reduce transportation costs, and improve the environment by displacing conventional gasoline with low-carbon ethanol.

Reading elsewhere it seems legislation would be needed to move up to E15 here, but that is possible, of course. if and when it does go that way, we'll have to consider the implications for our little cars. it seems unlikey we'd still be able to get 3 different kinds of petrol if E15 ever does come in, and would probably have to find some way to make E10 work. Won't happen any time soon, but it's probably out rhere.
Cunnorum plena sunt omnia

ethanol 7 months 3 weeks ago #42406

• NRG
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 78
Bioethanol E85 is also a thing and available in Europe and the USA…

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds