TOPIC:

Am thinking about buying an X/19 7 years 9 months ago #33743

• dave
  • dave's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,
I'm currently researching these great cars and thinking I'd like to join in the fun. I've given up with modern sports cars and want something different. I know there are many good examples out there but I'm after something that may not exist. I'd appreciate views on whether it's still possible to get a late car that's approaching concours condition, ie something that's in totally standard condition as it left the factory (or a totally documented restoration). My friends says this isn't possible but I'm hoping with patience that such a car may surface eventually. Looking though previous classic auction results, I think the closest contender would be something like this;

www.silverstoneauctions.com/fiat-x19-bertone

Ignoring the cost for now, is this particular car known to the forum or are there any other similar cars out there that may be for sale?
As I said, I'm not in a hurry to buy but am definitely considering my options to purchase a really good, unmolested, rust-free original Bertone.

Any comments or advice on this much appreciated.
Kind regards,
dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Am thinking about buying an X/19 7 years 9 months ago #33745

The great value of these cars still puzzles me. I think that silverstone auction car was a record price. There are examples for sale on-line for 2-3k which look appear very good original condition.

It might take you a while to find the rust but it will probably be there. Check under carpet in rear boot, inside side air vents with a torch and the spare wheel compartment. Rear suspension turrets along with all the other obvious places :-)
Who needs 4th gear anyway...
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave

Last edit: by Jeremy.

Am thinking about buying an X/19 7 years 9 months ago #33747

There are definitely quite a few concours low mileage examples around, but obviously the really good ones do not come on the market that often. I bought mine 3 years ago with 24k on the clock and absolutely no rust anywhere and had not been subjected to any restoration. I paid a fraction of the cost of the Silverstone auction car!! (that car had been stored for 8 years so probably need all the seals and rubber replacing). A low mileage car that has actually been used regularly I think is better than a car that has been stored. Good luck with the search.

Am thinking about buying an X/19 7 years 9 months ago #33749

• dave
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for your thoughts guys, much appreciated. Interesting what you say about the Silverstone car. I guess it would be a very good idea to join the club and make contact with a few owners locally who might be willing to give me a tour of their cars, will attend to that later.
Once again, thanks for all tips on what to look out for, I will definitely be patient over this potential purchase.
I should have said that I'm also considering a TR7 but thats another story and likely to generate some debate :)
Cheers,
dave

Am thinking about buying an X/19 6 years 11 months ago #35148

• dave
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi all,
In the end I bought a near concours condition Triumph Spitfire Mk IV but soon started to regret it, beautiful condition car but the driving experience shows how soft we have got over the years with power steering and servo brakes. Sold it today and definitely no regrets, am still looking for something a little different like an X1/9 but am wondering just how practical they are for reasonable journeys, the Spitfire was just a little too basic and hands on for me and my other half struggled to drive it smoothly. Still quite fancy a concours condition X1/9 but I didn't manage to find one earlier this year, have any surfaced this summer?
Cheers....
dave

Am thinking about buying an X/19 6 years 11 months ago #35149

Well Dave, as far as practicality is concerned, you would be hard pushed to beat the X1/9. My wife and I have driven to Turin and back from North East Scotland, through the Alps with no problems. The car easily coped with luggage for two of us for two weeks, with space for presents and wine on the return journey. Buy one, you won't regret it!

Am thinking about buying an X/19 6 years 11 months ago #35150

An X1/9 is the best value in its class. An Italian mid engined sports car for £5K for a very good example. I have used mine to holiday in France 2K miles never missed a beat. Parts readily available. Buy one you won't regret it. I am driving mine to Spain in September and I have no concerns regarding reliability.

Am thinking about buying an X/19 6 years 11 months ago #35151

Worth pointing out X1/9s don't have power steering either, but it doesn't matter because the steering is so light, unless you're trying to do a 59 point turn in a VERY restricted space!!
I'm on my 3rd car in 25 years, and Rosie (a 1982 1500) is not perfect, body work is very good rather than concours but as long a you know where the weak spots are and deal accordingly when necessary, it's not too much of a problem.
Mechanically the cars are pretty much unburstable, in fact we were on a Club trip to Brittany many moons ago and a Belgian woman decided to drive into my car in the car park. Her Renault was a write off, although my exxie's rear wheel arch was a little rearranged, I was still able to drive back to Huddersfield with no problem!!
Proud owner of Rosie UPN 19Y
Also driving Azura the Mazda on rainy days.
www.britbitsandclips.com
www.allsparks.com
www.sitran.dept.shef.ac.uk/

Am thinking about buying an X/19 6 years 11 months ago #35152

• dave
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
All very good information to know, thanks to all for the posts. I think I'll spend a little time researching these cars further and maybe go and have a look at a few that are offered for sale to get a feeling for what to look out for as advised on these forums. I missed out on a nice one that's now resurfaced on a dealers site for £14k but it's been on there for a few months now, it's not too far away so may well go look see.

As for parts availability, I went for the Spitfire as their availability is very impressive, pretty much everything is available, I thought X1/9 parts were rather scarce?
Cheers,
dave

Am thinking about buying an X/19 6 years 11 months ago #35153

I personally have had no problems with spares, if you Google x1/9 spares you will come up with at least two reliable sites which stock most parts. The only issue I have had is having to wait a while before a set of shocks came onto the market. Most parts and body panels are available, with some items such as brake discs and pads being very reasonably priced. Again, from a personal angle I have managed to get all the bits I have needed over the past 10 years without problem. This has included a door panel, new clutch, exhaust, coil and leads, various brake bits, headlight motor, speedo cables and other sundries. I have also replaced the automatic choke with a manual one.

Am thinking about buying an X/19 6 years 11 months ago #35271

Hi Dave, there's a good one for sale near me ..

See "Mica Blue GF .. VGC" under Recent Topics.
Owner wants C. £4k for it, but may well negotiate.
Live and let live.

Am thinking about buying an X/19 6 years 11 months ago #35272

That one is down to £3250 now

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds