• Page:

TOPIC:

Hi all 6 years 11 months ago #33791

• Chris
  • Chris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all, new to the forums, I'm looking into buying an X1/9 to add to my collection of Fiats i've got going on. Mostly 126's, I'm just looking for some advice and what not on what I should be looking for in an x19 and what to advoid, I'm going to look at one this weekend so any help will be appreciated. Ihave PM'd some people who are selling theirs to see if they are still for sale.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi all 6 years 11 months ago #33792

Hi Chris, as you are well versed in Fiats already, it's probably no surprise that a very thorough inspection for rust/rot in all sections is essential as this will be expensive and time consuming to fix. The later 1500 87 - 89 cars probably have better build quality. Early 1300 models are very hard to find but some people find more desirable. Mechanical parts are easy to find and are common to many other Fiat models and derivatives. Syncros on the gearbox are quite often worn and produce a notchy change. Radiators can be blocked and cause overheating issues. Probably most awkward job is clutch and brake master cylinder change as they are under the dash. Good luck with your hunt!!

Hi all 6 years 11 months ago #33793

Apart from the usual areas - wheel arches, door bottoms, windscreen surround, etc one spot worth a good look is below the rear window corners/below the filler cap. If the drain holes are blocked then serious rust will occur which is difficult to tackle. Not an easy check unless you remove the black plastic covers on both sides. Mechanically no real problems. Good luck in your search

Hi all 6 years 11 months ago #33794

• Chris
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I did just write a reply and it didnt seem to have shown up so I will have another go.

Thanks for the welcome, The cars I have been looking at are on eBay and I cant seem to post the links without it bringing up a big white box with nothing in it so i've given up and removed them.

There is one from Leeds which is pretty close to me (10 miles) and there is one in Stone, I am going to look a the one in Stone this weekend hopefully so I have a beter idea of what i'm looking for now.

I dont really want the one from Leeds as I already have a few projects ongoing, I have been trying to read up on the X19's and where they are susceptible to rust, mostly it say underneath the windscreen or look under the bonnet at the suspension mounts for signs of rust, and if there are, it could be expensive to repair if you cant weld.

I will upload some photos with this post to show you what I have, and what i'm working on. :)

Chris
Attachments:

Last edit: by Chris.

Hi all 6 years 11 months ago #33795

Hi Chris,

The one in Stone has been for sale for while now. I think it is over priced and am not completely sure whether it has been re-sprayed or not. It would need careful looking over. Certainly as mentioned above check the bodywork over carefully and have a good tap around
Having said that it has an interesting set of wheels on it.
I live in Stafford which is about 8 miles from Stone, but I'm afraid I am at the NEC all weekend with the X1/9 club display there, otherwise I would have come to have a look at it with you.

Good luck with your search.

Andy
Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
As seen in Classic & Sports car....
As seen in Auto Italia.....
As seen on Fifth Gear....!!!!
Lido ALF 704S

Hi all 6 years 11 months ago #33797

• Chris
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Andy, I'm very jealous of you being there, I was intending to go, I even bought tickets, then I've had to go on nights at work so cant make it. I can go the weekend after if you are willing to have a look round it with me, it would help me massively as I dont really know what I'm looking at with them, I know the 126's inside out, especially after having to rebuild one from the floor up, its in a bad way.Stone is about 80 miles from me but the 126 will take it in its stride ha!

Also I have just realised yours is the X19 from on Fifth Gear, and it looked very very nice.

Chris

Hi all 6 years 11 months ago #33798

Chris,

Shame you cant make it to the show, it would have been a good chance to have a look over the cars and get to know them a bit better.
I can possibly do next Saturday, but will confirm that after the weekend.

Thanks for your kind comments about my car as well :)
Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
Lido ALF 704S

Hi all 6 years 11 months ago #33799

• Chris
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah, was a shame really, was looking forward to it.. Work eh!! :angry:

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out till then, was thinking about buying a haynes manual to have a look over too, see what sort of stuff holds them together and keeps them running etc..? advisable?

Chris

Hi all 6 years 11 months ago #33800

Yes, not a bad idea, however, you need to bear in mind that the Haynes manual was written about the early 1300 version and that there is a supplement section at the back for the items specific to a 1500.

The Phil Ward book about X1/9s is also a good read. They sometimes come up ebay or possibly they might be found on Amazon.
Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
Lido ALF 704S

Hi all 6 years 11 months ago #33801

• Chris
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Right thanks, I will have a look and see what I can find

Chris

Hi all 6 years 11 months ago #33802

Hi Chris,

I've seen this red X1/9 in Stone some time ago (April?) and as far as I remember it has been resprayed but not very well. At least one of rear strut turrets was welded in the past so be careful about rust. At that point the engine didn't idle properly and the carburettor cooling fan was missing. Interior was nice. As Andy said before it is over priced.

I like yours 126's. Especially the red one.

Good luck,

Lech
1980 1500
1989 GF

Hi all 6 years 11 months ago #33811

Hi Chris,

I have sent you a PM about the car in Stone.

regards

Andy
Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
Lido ALF 704S

Hi all 6 years 11 months ago #33815

Don't forget to look in the spare wheel well behind drivers seat - properly & remove spare wheel! There is insulation which can hide the rust. Rear turrets in engine bay and look into the side body 'air scoops' with a torch.
Who needs 4th gear anyway...

Hi all 6 years 11 months ago #33816

• Chris
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi all, thanks for the replies, I am looking at an x19 still but looking for the right model, I do think however I need to think about the budget more as the one in stone by the sounds of things isn't a good idea to go and buy. I think I may have to wait until next year and sell one of the 126's before getting an one. I have read white a few reviews and other bits and pieces, they all are either incredibly expensive and in good condition or rotten.

I will keep looking.
Chris

P.S Lech, Lina said you had said hello, she messaged me when you were at the NEC. :)

Hi all 6 years 11 months ago #33817

www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C474067

This looks nice and original. I paid similar money for a smart 85 car with fresh MOT in running order a year ago, although clutch slave gave up after 1500 miles :)

prices do seem generally higher considering its winter too!
Who needs 4th gear anyway...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds