user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Any advice on Buy9ng an X/19 4 years 10 months ago #38847

Hi everyone. I've just joined the forum as a way of looking out for some buying advice, I am looking to buy an X1/9, I have only just started my search through the usual avenues, ebay, classic cars for sale etc but wanted a bit of advice on major issues that should cause me to walk away from cars I might view. Im based in Sheffield and I'm not fussy about model or spec or trim, originality etc, more interested in getting a nice car for the money I have would would be about £4000, ideally less so I have some playing about money.

Thanks for any help in adance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Any advice on Buy9ng an X/19 4 years 10 months ago #38852

I think everyone on the forum would say that body condition is the thing to look for. A rusty body will absorb lots of money. Mechanics are simple and reasonable. The cars rust everywhere so repairs may be in evidence, if they are good that's o.k. but rough work or welding sills over sills can take lots of time and money to put right, there are others on the forum know this with more expertise. The two cooling pipes and heater pipe running under the car are critical but can be mended without cutting the box off. People sometimes botch that box to attend to the pipes.
The cars are wonderful, you will not regret it, you meet lots of nice people and get lots of friendly waves, men run out of drool as you pass by.
Pay as much as you can for a really good one, it is much cheaper. If it has a tidy engine bay it often shows that the car has been looked after, while there look for rust in the triple skinned turret walls.

Any advice on Buy9ng an X/19 4 years 10 months ago #38855

Thanks for that i will start looking. the more i read up the more i want one. Just need to find a nice one now :-)

Any advice on Buy9ng an X/19 4 years 10 months ago #38858

Hi Richard,

Where abouts in Sheffield are you based? I am in Dronfield and I am happy to offer a few pointers. Unfortunately I work weekends otherwise I would be happy to point out things to look out for on my car, but you are welcome to come to my place of work for a chat if you like, I work on City Road.
I can also recommend a few local garages who are familiar with X19's to look after your future purchase.

John

Any advice on Buy9ng an X/19 4 years 10 months ago #38865

Hi there
Having bought mine this March I can truly say that its one of my best buys. I wanted to go down the restoration route so had the fortune (with advice) to find a car that had a really solid base but a few issues bodywork wise. I agree that finding the best one that you can is imperative but as mentioned parts are not too bad to locate for the engine etc. Body panels are more tricky and some trim. If you buy a restored one look for the evidence of what has been done.

I've found several outlets for parts which seem quite reasonable and would gladly pass on anything I've learnt to date.

Look out for me and the car in the club magazine

Stephen

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds