• Page:

TOPIC: 1985 VS RESTO

1985 VS RESTO 3 months 2 weeks ago #39668

• Paddy
  • Paddy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi peeps, I bought my 1985 VS last month. The reason I bought this car is that the history behind these machines amaze me, the heritage that comes with these cars is something truly underrated. The design is beautiful and the go-kart like handling is nothing to be taken for granted. I think these cars can only rise in value and with there being so little left on the roads they should be treasured like the little gems they were intended.
Any way, I bought this particular X19 from a gent in England who had no time for it. I have never restored a car before but thought I should buy something that would be a challenge and rewarding, I feel I picked the perfect car for this.
I want to share my progress and hopefully learn a new set of skills on my journey. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1985 VS RESTO 3 months 2 weeks ago #39669

• Paddy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

1985 VS RESTO 3 months 2 weeks ago #39670

• Paddy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
So as you can see, I’m starting from the inside and working my way out, just what it says on the tin! The first job was removal of the seats which were a bit labouring with the front bolts on the rails being right underneath the seat frame which meant I could get my ratchet in so it was the old school way but got there in the end.
Next I chose to take all the cracked trim off the edges of the leather and carpet behind the seat. I like how all the screws are visible I think this makes everything much easier to see when removing trims. Then I moved onto the seatbelts, handbrake, lower dash console and foot rest. Carpet slipped out easy and revealed what I was going to be dealing with on the inside. Gave the carpet a good cleaning with soap and power hosed it and hung it out to dry. I think I will change the colour to all black to hide the rust stains or the faded brown. Can’t tell if it’s rust staining or the brown about to turn green in the drivers footwell. That’s it for now folks. Will be back soon with more progress. Cheers

1985 VS RESTO 3 months 1 week ago #39689

Hi Paddy,

Thanks for sharing your progress so far.
Looking at the footwells and certainly the passenger side, it might be worth investigating whether there is a leak anywhere that is causing water to congregate in the footwell?

They do tend to rust around the drain slot in the centre.

You can sometimes pick a carpet up on ebay or similar. A black one would normally come out of one of the later cars like a Gran Finale.
However, there are sellers doing new carpet kits for an X1/9. i have seen one of these and they do fit quite well. (better than the original.
Might be an option....

Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
As seen in Classic & Sports car....
As seen in Auto Italia.....
As seen on Fifth Gear....!!!!
Lido ALF 704S

1985 VS RESTO 3 months 1 week ago #39696

• Paddy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Andy, yes I was thinking that the water maybe coming from the weather strip seals, They were in a bad state of repair. My friend has just purchased a tig welder and he also has a classic car in the restoration process. Do you know or have you heard of water getting in from perished weather stripping? Cheers

1985 VS RESTO 3 months 1 week ago #39703

It can come through perished weather strips or perhaps the targa top isn't adjusted correctly to have a good seal?

Also, another consideration is that in heavy rain it can come in through the wing mirrors. i had it with mine, and only got around it by cutting a hole in the convoluted rubber between the mirror and glass, it seemed to congregate in the re and then drip into the car.
Also check the door seal and how well the window seal when fully up.

Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
As seen in Classic & Sports car....
As seen in Auto Italia.....
As seen on Fifth Gear....!!!!
Lido ALF 704S
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.630 seconds