user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rear brake pad replacement

Rear brake pad replacement 5 months 1 week ago #39716

Hello All,

My rear brake pads need replacing. I’ve not done this job before, I’ve got the Haynes manual but I’m not sure if I’ve got the nerve to do it. I’d be grateful for any advice or comments regarding the two stages that concern me the most from having a go myself, they are:
(a) How difficult is it to remove and then replace the handbrake cables and will the handbrake adjustment sort its self out?
(b) Are the pistons easy to turn into the caliper and is there anything else to watch out for that’s not mentioned in the manual?
Hopefully when they’ve been replaced the handbrake release button will reappear out of the handbrake lever.
Thank you

Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rear brake pad replacement 5 months 1 week ago #39717

Hi Keith,

It is possible that if you don't need to remove the handbrake cable that you can just replace the pads with it still attached.
However, if you do need to replace, then the adjustment for the cable is accessed by a small hole towards the rear of the centre box section under the car. There is a square rubber grommet covering the hole.
To wind the piston back in you need to get something that fits the slot. I use a suitable metal bar that sits nicely in there.
However, if your piston is seized then it may prove a bit more difficult.

Replacing the handbrake cables wont get the button to spring out. It is likely that the spring inside the handle has come adrift or it has just stuck and needs cleaning/lubricating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith Waterhouse

Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
As seen in Classic & Sports car....
As seen in Auto Italia.....
As seen on Fifth Gear....!!!!
Lido ALF 704S

Rear brake pad replacement 5 months 1 week ago #39719

Keith,

I changed mine last summer, I was lucky in that the hand brake didn’t need adjusting.
I borrowed a tool specifically for winding the piston back into the calliper from a mate, who told me it’s a great tool but not cheap if you need to buy one. Having only even changed brake shoes before the front pads were fine, the rears too were straight forward job once i’d figured the process out.
Watch for the fluid over flowing the reservoir when you wind them in.
Hope it helps.
Simon.

Rear brake pad replacement 5 months 1 week ago #39720

Hi Andy / Simon,

Thank you for your replies. I’ll take the wheels off and possibly the calipers over the next few days to get an idea of how things might go. I’ll up date you later.

Rear brake pad replacement 5 months 6 days ago #39721

Hi Keith - it's a doddle to do. Feel free to pm me if you want my number and when you get stuck in I can talk you through it. Done properly, a flat screw driver will be all you need to screw the piston back in.

1986 'BAD' Turbo Bertone X1/9
1977 1300 Special Series
1999 Toyota MR2 3.0 V6 vvti daily driver

Rear brake pad replacement 5 months 6 days ago #39723

The calliper back off tools are relatively cheap now, even a blue point/silverline will do the job, even if the rest of their tools are made of cheese

Strike 2....strike one for resto

Rear brake pad replacement 5 months 6 days ago #39736

Thanks Rob, much appreciated.

Rear brake pad replacement 4 months 3 weeks ago #39770

I’ve now managed to replace my rear brake pads. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, I turned the pistons one complete turn inwards with a screw driver like Rob suggested and it worked fine. The old pads weren’t that worn compared to the new ones but unfortunately the handbrake release button is still hiding inside the lever, I’ll look at that next.

Thanks for your help

Rear brake pad replacement 4 months 3 weeks ago #39771

All sorted now, the release button hadn’t moved it was the plastic finger grip that had crept up the handbrake concealing the button.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds