user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Electric fuel pump.

Electric fuel pump. 5 months 1 week ago #39718

At some time, someone has fitted a Facet fuel pump to my GF resto project in quite an interesting way.:ohmy: The live to the pump comes from a coil post via a worryingly thin wire.

This worryingly thin, badly crimped wire is used as both the switching feed and main feed by cunningly bridging a standard relay whilst also dispensing with the additional hassle, expense and significant weight penalties of an inline fuse.

In the interest of keeping both my name and the words "tragic, fiery death" out of the newspapers, I've been looking into a better, less burny setup. I intend to fit a dedicated fuel pump solenoid which will cut the pump when the engine stops. I know that MK1 Golf and the like have been used to good effect, but does anyone know of a more scrapyard available alternative? Also, in the meantime, where would be the best point to take off a live feed for the pump, other than running a new wire from the battery? I have already fitted an inertia switch from a Fiesta to cut the pump in the event of a crash and I will obviously fit an inline fuse if someone can suggest the best ampage. Thanks.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Electric fuel pump. 5 months 6 days ago #39725

If you’re running it through a relay then just tap into the existing main feed.
However, you do not want it to continue pumping, in the event of an accident, so be mindful of the inertia cut-off you’ve installed

Strike 2....strike one for resto

Electric fuel pump. 5 months 6 days ago #39729

That's my problem. There is no existing main feed. From memory, I think the VW fuel pump relay triggers from the coil and cuts the main feed when the engine stops. My question was really can anyone think of a point anywhere close to the engine bay that would be suitable for a main feed? Failing this a suitable point behind the dashboard to save me going all the way to the battery? As for the £5 scrapyard inertia switch, a sharp tap with a spanner is enough to cut the flow, so daft not to include one for the sake of about an hours work. It can also be used as a handy immobiliser; just give it a tap and walk away...

Last Edit: by Steve Williams. Reason: spellnig

Electric fuel pump. 5 months 6 days ago #39730

There are existing feeds to engine bay, from memory, as a im nowhere near exxy to confirm, osr bulkhead behind drivers seat, comes out under coil, there’s also a feed on nsr but low down and a pain to get to.
If you’ve a Haynes manual you can see wiring, annoyingly, not in electrical chapter, in engine chapter pictures I think for doing the cambelt or head, if memory serves

Electric fuel pump. 5 months 6 days ago #39733

RESULT! A poke around in the spaghetti behind the drivers seat reveals a nice thick blue wire that has been cut. Strip the end and it reveals a constant 12v even with ignition off which is handy. It looks like someone started to do a proper job then lost interest Also, thinking around the problem, as the carb fan has been removed there should be another feed into the engine bay with the ignition on, near side, which I'll hunt down next as another option. So just a Facet pump fuse rating recommendation 10a/15a? and alternative fuel pump solenoid suggestions if anyone has tried one. Thanks:)

Electric fuel pump. 5 months 6 days ago #39734

Put the fuse in that comes with the pump
Some are as low as 7.5, like our boat, some 25 like my van and anywhere inbetween

Last Edit: by Nina Baptiste.

Electric fuel pump. 5 months 6 days ago #39737

Unfortunately, I didn't buy or fit the pump and whoever did, didn't get around to fitting a fuse. Unless someone knows better, I'll fit a 7.5a and see how it holds.

Electric fuel pump. 5 months 6 days ago #39738

Aha...I misread, if it’s an old one, get the number off the side and google the manufacturers site

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.463 seconds