user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Backdating an 87

Backdating an 87 2 months 2 weeks ago #39951

Just coming to the end of the work I intend to do on my X so posting a few pics.
This was one of Martin's old cars. In pretty decent shape when I got it but always preferred the earlier 70s look of the x1/9 - so have been backdating it to recreate that look. I normally value originality but couldn't live with the larger bumpers.
Pics start with as was bought, then progress through:

Bumper changes - iirc these are Hillman Arrow and Reliant Scimitar 5e bumpers
Fabricated nose grille
After market repro 1300 front spoiler
1978 steels with orange highlights+ new tyres
CSC manifold and exhaust
Fixed a flooding carb along the way (float problem)
Period seats fitted
Dyed door cards (these were from an earlier 1500 than mine and in cream so easier to dye)
Swapped Bertone steering wheel for earlier spoked version
Removed plastic side trim and fitted decal in its place plus original Bertone twin colour stripe
Chromed swapped in for the original black trim
Period boot badge fitted
Sail decals replaced
Pair of x1/9 squishy bags sit in the boot
1300 rear grille and engine cover fitted
Homemade gear gaiter in green vinyl.

Along the way the car passed its MOT (issues highighted on the pre inspection were failed suspension boot and non functioning turn signals). MOT man impressed by lack of rust on the car
Original seats ( I still have the covers were very badly perished) and looks like one frame had been sitting in water for a while.

I'm happy with the result. She runs well and has to my eye a sleeker look.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Ian Pownall.

Backdating an 87 2 months 2 weeks ago #39955

your X is looking sweet, we all must be mad putting soo much love and joy into these cars- lets face it, we will never see that money or effort back, but that just goes to show how much these cars effect the brain logic of modern homosapien. Great work Ian, do like the bumper upgrade.

Your CSC exhaust, did you fit primaries and rear box together? I bought the box section, didnt fit, had to mod bracket location, but love the sound and worth it, not such if I should bother with the primaries, apparently the standard exhaust manifold is preety good for flow??

Backdating an 87 2 months 2 weeks ago #39961

Cheers - yes not economic decisions - I reckon all the changes together cost about 1K.
For the exhaust - yep fitted both together. Mine was second hand and needed some work to fit. I had to modify the mounting bracket too. I know the sound is not universally liked, but to my ear it is more 1970s raspy now.
When fitting the manifold there seemed to be two types of gasket, one set comes in two halves and the other was a one piece. I bought both and fitted the one piece in the end as this style was the original one on the car and had the smaller rubberised gaskets around the waterway holes. Just wondered why there are two styles...?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stuart Parker

Last Edit: by Ian Pownall.

Backdating an 87 2 months 2 weeks ago #39962

Cant answer the split gasket other than 2 type of manufacturers?? I have my car 1 year now, parts total 1.8k, labour approx 150 hrs, Ive done about 4k miles. My seats are starting to split and wear, not sure if you can obtain original covers?? or should i take this opportunity to re-do the interior with something different, but still in keeping with colour of car....gezzz last thing i want is like some Ferrari owners, who spec interior that looks like it was done by their monochrome seeing dog

Backdating an 87 2 months 2 weeks ago #39963

Yes you can buy original covers, but cannot recall who sells them. Someone will be able to confirm that I am sure. I got my used covers off eBay.
Your call on the interior style, there seems to have been quite a wide variety of options offered over the life of the X. I prefer the more colourful earlier interiors.

Backdating an 87 2 months 1 week ago #39991

You could try Henk Martens for these seat covers he has quite a variety.

I decided to have mine re upholstered.

Backdating an 87 2 months 1 week ago #39993

Nice work...I’m definitely going to change the bumpers but nothing else

Strike 2....strike one for resto

Backdating an 87 2 months 1 week ago #39994

• JB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Is it your car that’s currently on Ebay?

Backdating an 87 2 months 1 week ago #39999

Yes reluctantly. I can probably hang onto it ,but realistically, a sale would be nice.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds