• Page:

TOPIC: Headlight motor issue

Headlight motor issue 1 year 5 months ago #40278

• Paddy
  • Paddy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi guys, I am having an issue with the headlight motor on the left,. I have replaced the diodes in both motors. But hasn’t solved my issue. The lights pop up as normal but the one on the left drops a couple of cm once it’s popped up and then when they’re turned off the lights drop as normal but the one on the left pops up again couple of cm. now I haven’t checked any fuses or anything but I presume if there was a fuse issue that the motors wouldn’t work at all, also there’s ca low battery. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Headlight motor issue 1 year 5 months ago #40279

Sound to me that the mechanical connection between the headlamp and its motor is out of adjustment.

It's a while since I did mine so don't recall the exact mechanism but there is an eccentric with a crank pin on the motor and an adjustable link going to the headlamp which I expect will be a couple of degrees out , thus the lift motor stops with the lights a couple of centimeters out whether its up or down.
You get at the mechanism by undoing the dzus fastener on the panel behind the headlamp under the bonnet.

Here's a scan of the diagram in the Haynes manual
Attachments:

Last edit: by Pete Pearson. Reason: add image

Headlight motor issue 1 year 5 months ago #40280

• Paddy
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Pete, I have fiddled with the knob on the top of the motor. When the lights are in off position on switch and light is protruding a couple cm, I twist knob on top to bring down to desired position. Once the I get it right the motor spins the knob and light goes back up to the protruding position unfortunately.

Headlight motor issue 1 year 5 months ago #40282

Yes, as I thought Paddy.
When you have the lights witched off in the down position disconnect the adjuster rod from the headlight itself, hold the headlamp in the correct down position and reconnect the rod, adjusting the length if necessary.
Best to remove the earth lead from the battery so there is no chance of the motor moving.
When you have done that, reconnect the battery and it should all work properly.

Headlight motor issue 1 year 4 months ago #40297

• Paddy
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I think there’s a problem with manual knob on top, it’s moving in and out but other side isn’t. Gonna take headlight motor apart and look inside for anything broken it might just need a bush, I’ll have another look.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds