• Page:

TOPIC: Question about chassis

Question about chassis 7 months 3 weeks ago #40298

• Paddy
  • Paddy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi I am currently dropping engine out and I left car on axle stands last night, I had the jack supporting also. Drivers side had jack and one axle stand and the passenger side had just the axle stand. The problem was the passenger door was harder to shut than normal. Does this mean I had too much weight leaning on the passenger side and flexing chassis or do I need to add extra metal for strengthening? Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Question about chassis 7 months 3 weeks ago #40299

You can expect a bit of flex when jacked up, especially if uneven. However, the x is very rigid and so if the doors are impossible to shut and stay difficult after dropping off the jacks you may have a corrosion problem. I usually leave the doors shut when jacking to add a bit of rigidity. I used to take the engine out by dropping out the bottom, but I've found that it's much less hassle to lift it out the top. You need a balancer bar for your hoist to get the engine and gearbox at the right angles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paddy

Question about chassis 7 months 3 weeks ago #40300

• Paddy
  • Paddy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for that no door shuts fine when down. My friend has an engine hoist so I could borrow that. I’m not sure if he has a balanced bar or not. Could you tell me a guide on how to lift out the top? I’ve got carb off and electric wires are disconnected from the motor just need to drain coolant. Any advice is very much appreciated thanks. Paddy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds