user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Re-Torque head TTY bolts..... or not

Re-Torque head TTY bolts..... or not 3 months 1 week ago #40713

What do you reckon, re-torque/angle the head bolts after the service letter recommendation of 700 to 1000 miles, or not? Bearing in mind I am fitting the now standard replacement Torque To Yield bolts (TTY) with 15mm head & M10 shank, my issue for a re-torque/angle is the whole purpose of TTY, that is they are stretched the once during fitment, no need for re-torqueing during service life as they have been stretched to their yield, if removed, you replace. The service bulletin is dated 1980 for 17mm & 19mm hex head bolts (which are M10 also?). The box with the bolts have the same X19 torque sequence but state.... important-do not retighten. My engine is 1500, year1988.

Is there a reason to warrant re-torque even with TTY bolts that I have missed? ohhh the re-torque outlined is an additional 60 deg then 30 deg, which makes a total of 90 degrees on top of previous torques carried out 700 miles ago

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Stuart Parker.

Re-Torque head TTY bolts..... or not 3 months 1 week ago #40716

• NRG
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Some info here post #75. xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/w...0/page-4#post-322932

Would seem it’s head gasket dependant, using the non polymer gasket re-torque after 500 miles another 90 deg in two stages 60 then 30. If you have the factory polymer gasket then don’t re- torque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stuart Parker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds