user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Door exterior trim

Door exterior trim 10 months 1 day ago #40743

Hi
Want to remove trims from front doors and front wing and just wondered if anybody has done this and what ,s involved .How do they come off and best way to seal what’s left ,weld up holes etc ..
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Door exterior trim 10 months 5 hours ago #40746

The exterior trim parts will come off easily enough with some gentle prising, or unbolting as in the case of the bumpers. However you will unsurprisingly be left with lots of holes. Some of the less conspicuous ones you can blank off with suitably sized and painted plastic/rubber grommets easily available off of eBay. The others, e.g. on the doors, would require welding up and then painting and so really only an option if you are doing some wider restoration.

Door exterior trim 10 months 4 hours ago #40748

The plastic trims are mounted on "top hat" rivets. On each door there is a screw on the front edge that locks the trim in place.
Once removed the trim will slide along and lift off.
Big job to remove and fix up the the rivets!

Door exterior trim 9 months 4 weeks ago #40752

Thanks for the replies it’s going to have a full repaint after tidying and needs some work to bottom of doors and along top next to glass I was going to put new door skins on but have been told they don’t fit very well. Might just replace bottom of door depending on how bad it is so welding rivet holes should not be a problem .
Cheers

Door exterior trim 9 months 4 weeks ago #40755

Would new door skins come without the holes

Door exterior trim 9 months 4 weeks ago #40758

I would very much doubt it, but couldn't be 100% sure

Door exterior trim 9 months 3 weeks ago #40772

Hi Tracy,

A word of warning...DON"T replace the door skin. At £80.00 plus is a very expensive process for something that don't fit. I tried it and ruined my door and I had to find a replacement at a £150.00 cost of replacement door.

This is the door now.

Dave
Attachments:

Last edit: by David Fisher.

Door exterior trim 9 months 3 weeks ago #40774

Hi David, I am sorry to hear that you had that problem with your door skin. I was lucky to find a local company who replaced the passenger side skin which I supplied, and they did a fantastic job. I had the whole car resprayed in silver over gunmetal grey, with a red pinstripe (the original colours), and 12 years on the paint is still excellent. But now the driver's door is rotting at the bottom, I have got another skin, and ........they don't do body repairs any more! I will struggle to find anyone local who will take on the work that I can trust, so I may have to do what you did and get another door.

Door exterior trim 9 months 3 weeks ago #40775

Hi Tracy, I have a new driver's side door skin which I was hoping to get fitted to my exxy, and having just looked it, the only hole in it is for the door handle. I got the skin from Eurosport. I have said in another post that I have had the passenger side replaced and was extremely pleased with the result that a local body shop did. Perhaps I was lucky?

Door exterior trim 9 months 3 weeks ago #40815

Hi everyone and thanks for the replies ,gonna remove door and strip it and see how bad it is ,I may get away with a door bottom and plate the top and then weld up trim holes ,I’ll let you know how it goes . Got quite a bit to do so no doubt I’ll be asking for your help again
Cheers

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds