user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: how much coolant?

how much coolant? 1 week 4 days ago #40891

as title says, really, how much coolant does the X1/9 1500 take? google-fu can't seem to identify the actual amount?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

how much coolant? 1 week 4 days ago #40893

I've just fully flushed my system out and put in 11 litres with a 50-50 mix of coolant and water.

It was actually a little bit more, because I did find a leak and also spill some :)

Also, when refilling it is important to use the BLUE coolant rather than the red. Apparently the red does nasty things to some of the seals.
Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
As seen in Classic & Sports car....
As seen in Auto Italia.....
As seen on Fifth Gear....!!!!
Lido ALF 704S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hywel Roberts

Last edit: by Andy Rowley.

how much coolant? 1 week 4 days ago #40895

I keep adding coolant until the radiator bleeder starts to leak with the nose of the car slightly up hill. Another good thing for filling the coolant is a "t piece" or "burper" fitted at the highest point of the heater system to properly bleed the whole system. Land Rover make one for the Discovery, i don't know which model but they are on E bay.

how much coolant? 1 week 4 days ago #40900

Good idea about the "burper" for the heater circuit.
I tend to fill it up then reconnect the hoses to the heater circuit when full. It reduces the amount of air in there.

Regarding the mix: I like to know there is a 50-50 mix in there. So I fill up a watering can and use that.
Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
Lido ALF 704S

how much coolant? 1 week 3 days ago #40901

Thanks gents.
I had meant to change the coolant last year but I didn't use the car much and I never got around to it. She will be coming off the road at the end of the month and I'll do it in October.
I seem to recall that I couldn't find the bleed point on my rad? I'll have a rummage this afternoon for it!

how much coolant? 1 week 3 days ago #40903

You get to the bleed point from under the bonnet. Depending on whether you have a carpet or not you may need to roll it back.

You will then need to locate a rubber grommet on the top of the radiator cowling, on the left hand side of the car and underneath the nose cone.

Pull the grommet out and the bleed screw is under there. You will need an Allen key to open it.
Don't over tighten the screw after bleeding.
Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
Lido ALF 704S

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds