user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Front brake caliper piston

Front brake caliper piston 1 week 4 days ago #40892

Hello All,

The piston in my car’s front off side brake caliper has stuck fast and can only be pushed back with a joiners clamp. It pumps out but will only return with the clamp. Does anyone know if the piston will rotate? I thought that I might be able to tape the end of the piston and then give it a gentle twist with some pliers to break whatever is holding it.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Front brake caliper piston 1 week 4 days ago #40894

It will rotate, it is only a piston. The seal or outer boot may have come adrift inside the cylinder and be stopping it returning while allowing it to come out. I would force it completely out with the break pedal and check the seal and boot before pushing the piston back carefully with the break bleeder open. I replaced all my bleeders with brass ones from Eurosport.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith Waterhouse

Front brake caliper piston 1 week 4 days ago #40896

Hi David

Thank you for your reply, I'll have another go tomorrow. I thought it best to ask here first.

Regards

Keith

Front brake caliper piston 1 week 3 days ago #40906

Hi David,
I got the piston out like you suggested and it looked ok but there was some small pieces of rubber inside the cylinder. I cleaned out the cylinder and put in a new seal and then started to put piston back thinking this wasn't too bad but for some baffling reason the piston got stuck tight again at 15mm in. I'll put a parts wanted post for another one and get some flexible hoses as well.
Thanks again
Attachments:

Front brake caliper piston 1 week 2 days ago #40907

It strikes me that you could polish the inside of the cylinder and piston with Brasso to get rid of any corrosion that might be holding things up. My pistons were corroded in places and I replaced them with stainless steel ones from Big Red. The cylinders corrode because of water in the break fluid. This happens when for whatever reason it dosn't get changed often enough, it is a tiresome job.
I changed my fluid for silicone. I have found it very good. some people say all sorts of negative things about it but I have had it in the clutch for over a year and the breaks all this summer. It won't absorb water to corrode and make spongy the system, it won't take paint off the car and you don't have to change it again. Still people will poo poo it but they might not have tried it, that's why i put it in the clutch first. I hope this helps. Don't forget the brass bleed screws.

Front brake caliper piston 1 week 2 days ago #40908

Thanks David,
I met Nick Troth today he's going to rebuild a caliper for me when I send mine over to him. Hopefully then I'll be able to get everything back in place. I won't forget the brass valves.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds