user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sticking clutch 1 year 10 months ago #41632

I have finally got the car out of the garage after lockdown, but have had a problem with the clutch again, the same as last year when I resurected the car from winter hibernation. The clutch has stuck and wouldn't release when the clutch pedal was depressed. So the car starts, but trying to select a gear and drive it out of the garage was impossible. Both times now I have had to simply stop the engine and select first and then turn the starter motor, resulting in the car hopping out of the garage driven by the starter motor. This is obviously not good for the starter motor (or anything else mechanical) but it was the only way I could free the clutch off. Once free the car drives fine, but how can I stop this from happening again?
On another note, why can't I select 'techie talk' in the drop down menu, it is greyed out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sticking clutch 1 year 10 months ago #41633

Difficult to totally avoid. Its not something I have ever suffered from and so I suspect its due to the finer points of the clutch components. If you jack your car up so both back wheels are off the ground you can start and rev the engine, and with some pressure on the pedal, the clutch should free off. For safety reasons you need to do this in an appropriate area - not facing the back wall of your garage :pinch:
I have seen suggested that you lay up your car with the clutch pedal held pushed down with a bit of wood, but that doesn't seem a great idea as you are putting components under long term strain and pressure

Sticking clutch 1 year 10 months ago #41634

The best thing to do is drive your car through the winter. Once a week or when you can, give it a few miles on dry roads. This keeps the clutch and breaks free. I once had to free the clutch on a series two landrover I had and you could use the crank handle. Gee that gave me a nasty kick back.
I replaced my car's break and clutch fluid with silicone fluid. No more water build up in the system with corroding of pistons.
Some people say silicone fluid is squishy, it is not, it can't be. dot 4 can become squishy as it absorbs water which can have bubbles of vapor.
I have had silicone in the system for two years now with no problems at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Hutton

Sticking clutch 1 year 10 months ago #41636

Unfortunately David, living in the North East of Scotland there is no way I would drive a 35 year old Fiat on our salted roads during the winter! At the end of October the car is put away with the brakes fully serviced and copper-slipped, and the car put on axle stands to stop the tyres sqauring off. It sees the light of day sometime in April once I am completely sure that all the winter grit and salt is off the local roads. So your suggestion is not an option I'm afraid!. I was simply wondering if there was some inherent fault with my car that it has decided to start the clutch sticking. I have had the car for nearly twenty years, and this problem has only recently manifested itself.
Thanks anyway for your suggestion and time, perhaps I'll simply have to live with it until I get off my backside and finally pull the gearbox in order to strip it and fix the knackered synchro on third. This would obviously let me at the clutch to inspect it properly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Hutton

Sticking clutch 1 year 10 months ago #41641

Not so much salt here in Cornwall I have to admit.

Sticking clutch 1 year 8 months ago #41730

• Ian Gould
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1989 Standard in giallo cedro
  • Thank you received: 6
I usually take my car off the road for the winter too but try to just work the clutch and gearbox for a minute or two every few weeks without starting the engine. Not sure if this helps but I have never had a problem with the clutch when I come to start the car in April.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds