user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Out of the garage and on the road for 2021 1 month 3 weeks ago #41915

Good day crew

It’s been some considerable time since I’ve been active but good news, I’ve just renewed my full subscription! Haven’t managed to do anything with “Chips” for years (due to getting married) but I hope next year will give me the opportunity to get her running again

QUESTIONS:

She’s been garaged for about 8 years and although covered up, I’m sure there’s a million things I need to address before I even turn the key. With the infinite wisdom of this club, please would you all enlighten me what to do and in which order.

Many thanks
Mark & Chips (1986 1500)

She’s called “Chips” because when I bought her she was covered in ‘em - that’s Lincolnshire roads for you. Still, she made it into Classic Car Weekly June 12 2008 Ep 928 so she can’t be that bad!
'99 Alfa 145 / '86 X1/9 /'69 Freeman Cruiser / '92 Delica / '91 Dedra Turbo / Bird Nut Feeder / Inflatable Canoe . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Out of the garage and on the road for 2021 1 month 3 weeks ago #41916

• NRG
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
Hi, 8 years wow!....well... replace all fluids and filters, fuel hoses, any perished suspension bushes, cam belt. Clean out the carb/strip it down, old dried up fuel leaves a nasty crud on everything, fit a fuel filter if not already fitted. New, points and condenser. Free off the handbrake if necessary and pads front and rear.....with luck the brake and clutch cylinders will still be ok otherwise be prepared to replace them along with the heater valve. Gremlins can creep in with the electrics so a clean up of earths and connections may be required....good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Windsor-Hampton, Alan Hutton

Out of the garage and on the road for 2021 1 month 3 weeks ago #41917

Yep, I was sorta figuring out that was the deal. Just wait until I start on the Dedra Turbo... bang goes my pension!
'99 Alfa 145 / '86 X1/9 /'69 Freeman Cruiser / '92 Delica / '91 Dedra Turbo / Bird Nut Feeder / Inflatable Canoe . .

Out of the garage and on the road for 2021 1 month 2 weeks ago #41932

My car had been doing a 20year sentence of "garage durability" and it cost me a lot to get it back on the road, a very considerable sum indeed, in fact a few £ more than I paid for it in 1988.
Agree with NRG.
In addition hose out the cooling system as old antifreeze forms beautiful big crystals!
I replaced the battery, alternator, Lumenition ignition, Facet fuel pump, tyres (30+years old) fuel tank leaked, new sender, re-corded radiator, new brakes, fuel lines of course, alarm/immobiliser, added relays for windows lights and brown wire. What else? Cam belt.... Just as well the car was in really good condition before I put it to bed.
Even after all of that, the speakers suffered from rubber surround failure, you can't win!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds