user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC:

brakes 8 months 2 weeks ago #42260

Can anyone tell me if it is at all possible to improve the next to useless brakes on a Bertone gran finale. Possible to put better discs, pads or even if it is possible to add a little power assistance? Any info would be gratefully received.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

brakes 8 months 2 weeks ago #42261

• NRG
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 76
I’ve read Uno Turbo brakes will swap over or you could try the upgraded disks and pads from www.eurosport-uk.net/shop/index.php?main...tion=1&keyword=brake

I’ve just replaced the disks and pads on mine with standard parts and the difference just doing that alone has made a big difference along with bleeding the system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Hutton

brakes 8 months 2 weeks ago #42263

Your best bet is to have your brakes properly serviced. Have the pistons out, cleaned, new fluid and everything put back together correctly with the slides copper-greased to enable everything to move as it should. That will make a world of difference. Most garages wont do this, just fast fit and this is why they always feel like pressing on a block of wood. Working correctly, they should feel nice and progressive.

If you require more beyond this point I would upgrade to EBC green pads and new discs. They work exceptionally well.

Uno turbo calipers are rather expensive now and I see no real advantage. Yes you get vented discs and floating calipers but the diameter of the piston is the same as the originals, so unless you are cooking your brakes, you won't notice any benefit.

I've tried all of these options so I can only comment on my own experience. I now have 4 pots front and rear on 284mm Intergrale discs, a bias valve and a different master cylinder, but you will only need something like that if your are competing or making big horsepower numbers. Looked after properly, the standard brakes work just fine.

Remember, a decent set of tyres will also help you avoid front end lock-up!
1986 'BAD' Turbo Bertone X1/9
1977 1300 Special Series
1989 Lotus Esprit 2.2 Turbo
1986 Mk1 b MR2 t-bar
1999 Mk 2 MR2 Rev 5 t-bar, 3.0 V6 vvti
2012 GT86

Last edit: by Rob Warren.

brakes 8 months 2 weeks ago #42264

A proper service of the breaks is a start,
New fluid, brass bleed nipples from Eurosport while you are doing it.
Then; Good shoes with firm soles, a sensible breaking distance ahead,and I find the breaks a delight.
You are in complete control.
They do work if you press hard in an emergency, best not to help emergencies by driving close.
Don't forget the rear breaks while you are at it.
Also I use silicone fluid, many people won't use it. They say it is spongy.
It will not absorb water, which makes breaks spongy when it gets hot, it will not rust the system, water in ordinary hydroscopic break fluid does that, and it does not take the paint off.

brakes 8 months 2 weeks ago #42265

I would agree with Rob, well maintained standard brakes should be more than acceptable. Trying to gain extra braking by going away from the standard set up is very difficult as your options are very limited, unless you go for a bespoke system like Robs's. I once tried fitting a servo without a lot of success - you are trying to retro fit a system with limited choice of parts, limited knowledge and budget - difficult to get that lot to produce a useable results.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds