user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tale of Woe - Respray gone Wrong 2 years 2 weeks ago #42532

I put my fully functioning and reliable X1/9 into a local and reputable (allegedly) body shop in January 2021 for some bodywork and a full respray. The work included the replacement of rusting body panels - primarily lower rear areas and the bottoms of both doors.

Progress was glacial and the owner was very poor at updating me, in fact he never did update me and, it was always down to me to visit if I wanted any information. He made a number of promises with respect to completion date and these were always broken. I visited the premises a week ago, again seeking an update and, discovered suited men reclaiming leased courtesy cars - the company had gone into receivership 10 days previously; the owner was not on site. Neither the owner nor the receivers have been in touch with me at any point and moreover, the owner has failed to respond to my emails asking what the situation is.

The good news is that most of the work on my car is done to a high standard and it is safe inside the dry workshop. I now have to be patient and wait for my car to be released back to me, once someone decides to communicate with me - I don't even know the name of the receivers to get in touch with them (there is no posting on the premises directing inquiries nor on the bodyshop's website). Then I will need to find a workshop where the work can be completed - high build primer worked back, full respray, recommissioning/rebuilding. The doors and the headlights have been stripped out to enable to bodywork and therefore the work will need to be undertaken by someone with X1/9 experience and this is the main thrust of my thread - can any members suggest where I might take the car to be completed? A restorer/bodyshop with a proven good record and experience of X1/9s? In the North West would be best but I accept it might be further afield if I am to ensure the work is done correctly. It will be critical that I arrange this work before the car comes out of the current workshop as it cannot sit outside in its current condition and I don't have a garage. I have attached a couple of photos of my car as it is at present.
Many thanks in advance
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Mike Laing.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.040 seconds