user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Replacing steel water pipes under car 1 year 5 months ago #42869

Hello,
Has anyone ever replaced the steel water pipes under the car ?
Has anyone done this by using custom bolt on pipe carriers or brackets ?
Trying to work out how best to do this so that if in the future any pipe gets damaged then replacement is an easy fix
Thank You
Roger
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replacing steel water pipes under car 1 year 5 months ago #42870

So you've already removed the old pipes and box section from underneath the car?
Although I've not done this task myself, I think the normal practice has been to replace them with the box section back on the car. This then provides the support for the pipes.

It is probably possible to search on posts on this site for further advice.

Others may have their own stories to share.....
Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
As seen in Classic & Sports car....
As seen in Auto Italia.....
As seen on Fifth Gear....!!!!
Lido ALF 704S

Replacing steel water pipes under car 1 year 5 months ago #42872

I have done this.

What I did was cut the old pipes off at the rear of the car, near the box section and then you can slide them out from the front.

For a replacement, you can make your choice. I had some new pipes made out of stainless steel, bent to shape at the front and then the rear portions also bent to shape all to match the original but I now have a join (using silicone hose) near the rear of the box section.

I have heard of people putting just a straight section of metal pipe back in. You can even see stories of people using copper pipe. Not sure I would, but they claim it works great.

Overall I am pretty happy with the results but the trick is finding someone who can bend stainless steel pipes to match the originals. I was lucky and found an old school pipe bender.

I have also heard of people drilling out the many rivets, deconstructing the box section and dropping out the pies directly, but it sounds like a lot of work when you can slide them out. but if you can get a good match then you can avoid having a join in the pipes somewhere.

Best of luck with whatever solution you plump for

Replacing steel water pipes under car 1 year 5 months ago #42873

Hi, I have used the cooper pipe trick and it works great, far easier and quicker

Replacing steel water pipes under car 1 year 5 months ago #42874

Hi Guys,
Thank you for the replies.
So yes, I removed the old pipes, started off drilling out the welds in the carry tray then after 45 minutes lost patience and reached for the angle grinder !!
I have a plan now----I have new stainless pipes from Italy (actually so near to the originals, really good and both coolant pipes) these were €200 plus freight.
To attach so they are bolt on, I found there are 3D printed carbon fibre pipe mounts available off the shelf (see attached pic) so I am waiting to see what the cost is to get similar made with three holes to hold the heater pipe also, if this is affordable that's what I'll go for , when fitted will take view as to fit a protection shield or not.
Happy to share contact details for Italian tubes (made by an X1/9 owner) and these carbon fittings (assuming can get a nice price to buy the bespoke version with 3 holes)
Roge
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Garnett

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.048 seconds