user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Purpose of these hoses? (see pic) 4 months 6 days ago #43614

Hello All,
I'm restoring a 1976 X19 and have not found reference to these hoses. They are broken and rotten, yet I do not see leaks and the car runs fine. I thought to just replace them all but thought they may be from emission controls that someone removed in the past? Before I replace them, (maybe I should strip them or plug them) I would like to understand their purpose.
Thanks you in advance for info and advice. Please see pic below.

Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Purpose of these hoses? (see pic) 4 months 5 days ago #43620

• NRG
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 101
Is that a USA car, looks like emission stuff for fuel vapour capture

Purpose of these hoses? (see pic) 4 months 5 days ago #43621

Hello,
Yes it is currently in Coeurdalene Idaho USA. The manuals don't show much detail of the emissions, and I think a previous owner disconnected it all.
If there is no reason to leave unused stuff in the engine compartment, I was thinking of removing it but I wanted to be sure I understood it first.
Can these hoses be discarded or is it better to replace them with new? If I discard them, there will be some metal tubes left over that may need plugged?

Also along the line of removing un-needed items.... I read on a post that if the fuel pump is replaced with electric (mine is) that then there is no need for the carburetor cooling fan, since the fuel will no longer vapor lock. Any opinions on this?

Regards,
Dave

Purpose of these hoses? (see pic) 4 months 5 days ago #43622

• NRG
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 101
You probably would be better off asking on the xweb forum as they guys there have move experience on the emissions stuff for NA cars. Electric fuel,pump will certainly help with vapor lock, make sure you fit an inertia switch in the supply feed to cut the pump,in case of an accident…

Purpose of these hoses? (see pic) 3 months 4 weeks ago #43628

Thank you for reply.

I decided to replace them all versus strip them as at least 2 of that group are vents for the fuel tank ( I think). Each one I removed crumbled to little pieces in my hands
I also removed the engine vent where the gas cap is to inspect for bad hoses and I'm glad I did. The 35mm hose connecting the fill spout to the tank was broken completely around and came off in two pieces.

I hope this info is useful to others doing first restoration on a 1976 or similar.

Happy holidays,
Dave

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds